The Proposal

“Marry me”

Harry’s head snapped up from draping over the fruity cocktail so his eyes connected frantically with Louis’. His fingers tightened on the straw in his clutch which had stopped swirling around the colourful ice mush in the interestingly shaped glass. Those fingers brushed with the chilled of Louis’ fingers which held onto another green straw also; the cool contrasting with the sweltering heat engulfing them.

“W-what?” Harry asked, somewhat dumbfounded.

“Marry me” Louis repeated, his expression serene. His long block lashes fluttered innocently, his plump bottom lip caught between his top teeth. His tanned skin which had darkened over the course of the holiday was slick with a sweaty sheen; and in that moment in time, Harry thought Louis’ couldn’t look any better.

Harry’s heart was fluttering beyond compare; it was pounding beyond reason. His eyes were casing with a lining of water and his mouth was slightly agape. The humidity of not only the heat surrounding him, but the suffocating feeling wrapping around his heart from those heart-warming words made it hard for Harry to breathe. The intoxication already burning through his veins heightened from those addictive words that he wanted hear again and again through Louis’ sweet voice.

You…want to marry me?” Harry asked incredulously, asking for a form of confirmation that he heard correctly. Even after 4 years of inseparable and irrevocably deep love, Harry was still overwhelmed by the love Louis felt for him and that he wanted him, and only him. He never had, and probably never would, feel worthy of the perfection that is Louis Tomlinson, but the precious feeling swimming around his body from those words was enough to keep those thoughts at bay for an eternity.

“I want you to marry me” Louis stated softly, his words delicately brushing at Harry’s ears and padding lightly to register in his racing mind. Louis reached out and clutched Harry’s right hand in his, removing the strong grip from the straw to entwine their fingers together carefully.

“I’d love to” Harry whispered, his eyes welling faster with happy hot tears, his grin growing to his ears to show off his beaming smile. Louis had caused that smile. Louis always caused that smile.

They’re heads gradually moved forward and their lips connected smoothly.  The certain way their lips slid together, the certain way Louis’ tongue licked a strip over Harry’s bottom lip to ask for an entrance, the certain way their tongues brushed together; was different to normal. It wasn’t as if they were experimenting on a new type of embrace; it wasn’t as if it were a brand new experience in terms of kissing. It just felt different. It wasn’t their physical movements which had changed; it was their emotional movements which had changed. The feelings powering every swish and flick of the tongue. It felt as if it were a new beginning. Instead of hesitancy which sometimes Harry exerted when times of emotional conquest occurred - a time like the present - there was nothing but raw love. That was it; love. Love and only love.

As they parted, they only left the needed space to breathe independently between them; their noses brushing with every heavy breath.

“I would give you a ring, but I didn’t really plan it so I don’t have one just yet…” Louis confessed.

Harry just smirked at Louis’ spontaneous quality and graced his eyes over Louis’ bright blues to show him that he didn’t mind one bit. Suddenly, Louis’ head bounced backwards and he bent to the floor, ripping his hand from Harry’s. Harry sat confusedly until Louis’ upper body returned back to the table; his fingers grasping a long piece of tropical grass.

As Louis took ahold of Harry’s left hand that was lazily lying on the table, Harry shot Louis a questioning look; only to be returned with a reassuring smile. Louis separated Harry’s fingers, holding the fourth finger in place. Carefully, he laid the finger over the strand of grass so it was supported and tied it with ease. Winding it round so it was tight enough, but not too tight, he nipped the excess with his short nails to cut it off; smiling triumphantly at his creation.

Harry stared at in amazement. His eyes glistened with threatening tears of joy once more as he felt the light weight clinging around his finger. It felt so right. The grass was wound so neatly Harry never wanted to take it off. He knew that soon it’d be replaced by a silver band, but it was perfect to him. The pure simplicity and thought spurred on the happy emotions flowing around his body. The natural element was a small reminder that they did not need much in life, they could get by with whatever; as long as they had each other.

A pang of excitement rushed through Harry’s veins as he thought of the wedding. The ideas battled in his brain instantly, the thoughts of fabulous things he could have for that special day; but there was one main thing that stood out.

That by the end of that day; he would be married to the love of his life.