Cold Feet

Next day Shaurya left for Patiala, this had been planned a while ago already. On the other hand Devi and Tej were planning to send Shaurya away to Patiala for a while so that Devi could deal with Shaan and bring him back in her control and out of Aastha's zone and effect. Once in Patiala Shaurya caught up on the work and progress, the time flew fast, it was almost evening when he was finished and then he had a call from Badi Maa who instructed him to not drive back in the night and instead should come back tomorrow morning instead. 

Shaurya had been so tired last night that he fell asleep immediately after early dinner and thanks to that he was up and ready by 7 in the morning to go back to Chandigarh. He left for Chandigarh and was about to take the straight highway when he saw the highway boards pointing straight to Chandigarh and left towards Kapurthala and Moga and in fraction of a second and in impulse of the moment he gave an indicator to left and took the left turn. It was so unlike him but he couldn't stop himself, since yesterday morning his uneasiness had increased manifold and the conversation between his Bade papa and Badi Maa had left him shaken and broken, he had always treated them like his godparents, everything they did for him was a debt, it wasn't their duty or expectation out of them, and each second of his life he thought to work towards repaying it, but the conversation had shattered his belief in them, in their goodness, they weren't god, their love for him wasn't unconditional, he was right to feel it like a debt that kept increasing on him, they had motive and intention behind whatever they did for him, they had kept him away from Aastha Sabherwal with a purpose and now he wanted the answer that what purpose was worth or greater for his mother for not fighting for him, what was so pressing important than her own son, was it actually her job. Even if Bade Papa and Badi Maa had done something why didn't the mother in Aastha Sabharwal fight against it, was he so worthless  or her job so dear to her that she gave up so easily on him, gave him up for charity of Mrs Devi and Mr Tej Sabherwal. He needed the answer now and only that women, his mother had the answers. As he drove towards Kapurthala, the anger and vulnerability in him kept growing.

Two hours later he parked his SUV outside the house that read Professor Aastha Sabherwal. And he knocked on the door waiting for it to open. He was impatient for it to open, if it didn't open in another few seconds, he was so anxious and so much agitated that he felt capable of breaking it. And then the door opened, he saw the same old man he had seen once before opened the door, last time also when he had come to get the affidavit signed, he had seen him, he was his nanaji and right behind him came his nani asking for who had come.

Nana Ji- Beta, tum toh wo hi ho, ek baar pehle bhi Aastha se milne aaye the, par beta aaj bhi wo abhi college gayi hai, kuch bahut zaroori hai toh main call kar deta hoon, tumhara naam kya hai?

Shaurya was tongue tied, he had a lump in this mouth. The anger and agitation left him and replaced it with hurt and pain. His eyes got a little watery.

Nani Ji- Beta, andar aa jao, pani pi lo(calling Shaurya inside from the gate), aap tab tak Aastha ko call kar dijiye(towards her husband).

Shaurya moved in a little and saw his Nana ji was in wheelchair today also, last time he had ignored this detail. 

Nana ji- Beta tumhara naam?

Now Shaurya was pulled back from his lost state and realization of the moment swept him. He moved to stand right in front of his nanaji and bent forward and touched his feet. The old man blessed him and was about to ask when he stopped when Shaurya said.

Shaurya- Shaurya ........ Shaurya Sabherwal 

And the next second reaction was something that Shaurya couldn't have ever imagined, his nanaji had tears in his eyes, he was desperately trying to get up from his wheelchair and involuntarily Shaurya extended his hand to help him, seeing him struggling, finally holding strong arms of Shaurya the old man stood up a little shaky on his feet and kept a hand on Shaurya's one shoulder and with other caressed his face very lovingly. Shaurya was frozen in that moment and in his touch, while he stood still the old man had tears flowing down his eyes and he was taking his name again and again.