2. No New Friends

SOPHIA'S POV

I organized some interviews for Dan with Australian news outlets and another one with Sky UK. I knew Mclaren's priority was the British media but I also knew Dan's priority was the Australian one. I understand my job is taking care of Daniel image but I can't just stop thinking as his friend and I know Dan needs to start the season on a happy note. I also planned a surprise for him -yes, already- and sorted out a flight for his family for the Monaco gp. Is been a while since he has seen them because of how hard it is to leave Australia but luckily we were able to figure it out with Grace and Joe.

 I was done with work and I decided to wait for Dan in the entrance of the building. I can't deny that I was nervous. I kept replaying in my head that "you're all I needed". Daniel was always caring, he would always worry about me but he would never say anything like that. He had trust me all his secrets and he would always let me be there for him, but he would never voice out that he needed me. What if he changed and now we can't be the two dorks we always were?

-"Hey hey minion! How was your first day?" A smiley Daniel walked out of the door messing my hair up. 

"let's get out of this goddam hell hole!"

-  "God Ricciardo, I forgot how annoying you are when you're hyper" I rolled my eyes while following him to his car

-  "is that your way of showing me you love me?" He said jokingly without looking at me

 "maybe if you didn't leave you would still be used to being around me" He continued. I speeded up my walk and once I was in front of him I stopped walking and face him. 

- "Daniel are you freaking serious?" I practically yelled to his face

 "You're one of my best friends and I love you but you're living your life and I had to live mine too. Do you even have an idea of how much I missed you?" when I finished talking he was smiling from ear to ear. 

- "Soph, I was joking. Calm down" He continued walking and opened the car's door for me 

"madamme" he said in a terrible French accent. I jumped into the car and the 30 minutes drive to his house were just chit chatting and singing old songs we knew. Daniel opened his apartment's door for me.

 While we were driving I noticed his new place was just about 10 minutes walking distance from mine. When I got in I could see a more mature decoration. It felt almost like someone else did it for him. I remembered how his apartment in Milton Keynes used to have a bunch of flags and car decoration around. This was different than the Dan I knew and I started to wonder if he had a special someone living with him. I couldn't help but ask. 

-"wow your place is very nice! Did some girlfriend decorate it for you?" I asked nervous to hear his answer. 

-" girlfriend?" He laughed hard.

 "c'mon take a seat. Do you want a coffee? Water? Wine?" He asked while walking to the kitchen 

"and no, you know I'm not the dating type Soph" I could hear his laugh from the kitchen and I just laughed with him. 

-"water is fine" I changed the subject. He came back to the living room with two glasses of water and a smile on his face.

- "So how is Jacob? Did he move with you or you guys are doing long distance again" he asked and I swallowed.

- " we are not together anymore" I answered looking down and staring at my hands.

 "after I moved with him things changed a lot. He barely had time for me but he wouldn't let me have friends" I looked at him and I could see how his smile disappeared