Chapter 9

Zak's POV

Honestly, I don't know when I developed a bigger relationship with Darryl. After a while of him being my tutor, we became more of friends then just two people that went to the same school.

It's been two weeks since the party, and I still haven't told Darryl anything about my home life. But now he knows I live in the so called "poor neighborhood", and you can't tell at first, but it defiantly changed him a little.

Now though, it was lunch. I grab a fork after getting the cafeteria food. I look around before spotting my friends at our usual table, and start walking towards them. I drop my tray on the table once I get there and pull up a chair.

"Yo Skeppy!" Zelk greets me, and I give him a small smile in return. Zelk had already apologized about 1000 times about the party, and I had no choice but to forgive him. I pick up my burger and take a bite. My friends chatting away the whole lunch, and me just listening to them.

It wasn't until the end that I talked. "Hey guys, I'm gonna go now. I have to spend my free period in the library catching up on work," I explain as I stand up. I get a nod and some 'okays' before my friends go back to talking. I sigh quietly and leave the cafeteria.

I wasn't actually going to the library. Sure, I had work to catch up on, but that doesn't mean I'll do it.

I walk through the gym doors, the lights being off. Sophomores weren't supposed to use the gym during their free period, and Juniors and Seniors almost never used it.

But that's exactly why it's the perfect spot to hide.

I walk over towards the metal bleachers. Once I reach them, I duck underneath them, crawling until I each the end of it. There was a wall at the end, blocking me from going out. There were small cracks, and you'd only be able to see me if you were to climb to the top of the bleachers.

I sigh once again as I lean my head against the wall. I pull my phone out of my hoodie pocket and unlock it.

I got my phone for my birthday when I was 14. It was  three years after everything went downhill, and it was the last birthday gift I've gotten since then. But the phone I got then is gone now, stored somewhere in my room. It stopped working after two years, and eventually my friend bought me a new one.

I open messages to see I had one message. It was from Darryl. After I gave him my number, we chatted often. Usually it was small conversations, but I didn't mind. He was one of the only people I could talk too.

I open the message, reading it.

Darryl: Hey Zak! Wanna hang out during free period? I'm in the back field.
5 minutes ago.

Zak: Hi. Sure, I'll be there in two minutes.
Now

I grab my backpack and stuff my phone into my pocket, and quickly crawl out. Free period lasts and hour, which means I can spend almost 55 minutes with Darryl.

———

Hey. Sorry this chapter is so short and bland. I have an idea, which might pop up in one of the next few chapters. Love you all, bye! <3

Word Count: 575