Chapter 23

I just posted last night, but I decided to post again. Woo!

———

Darryl's POV (starting with him today, WOO!)

When I woke up the next morning, Zak was still asleep. I wanted to wake him up, but when I felt his forehead it was really, really warm. I took his temperature, and it turned out he had a fever.

I thought about it for a second. I would love to stay home and just watch him, but I couldn't. For one, I can't miss another day of school, and for two..I kinda wanted to get back at him for leaving me yesterday.

I mean, he won't die or anything, right? I'll just come back as fast as I can, and it'll be fine. I'll leave him a note.

After writing the note, it was already time to leave. I didn't want to be late, after all.

I leave, slamming the door behind me.

———

My first instinct when school ended was to go and set up for tutoring. However, I couldn't do that because for one, Zak wasn't even here, and for two, I had to go back home to watch Zak.

I was praying throughout my entire last class that he wasn't dead and my house wasn't burnt down. And that he didn't leave. If he left, that would create a lot of problems. For both me and him.

I leave the school building, pulling out my phone. I didn't even notice someone texted me, I just checked the time. It was 3:01, and I said I'd be back at 3:30. That gave me lots of time, because unlike Zak, I didn't have to walk home. I had a car for a reason.

I decided to go to the bakery and pick up some fresh cinnamon bread for a snack later. I walk over to my car, getting in and starting it.

I then start to drive towards the bakery.

———

Zak's POV (switchin' povs)

Most of the day I slept, and when I finally woke up it was already 1 PM. And I was hungry. But as much as I wanted to eat, I didn't want to eat any of Darryl's food, because he used his money to buy that, and it'd be rude.

I had plugged in my phone earlier before I went to sleep, so it was full battery by now. I decided to go through all the messages I had gotten the day before.

I open the phone using Face ID and then open the message icon. I had 32 unread messages from Darryl, and 23 from my mom. It wasn't that much, but I knew I would be in trouble when I went home, and when Darryl got back.

I open my mom's first.

Mom: zak

Mom: zak

Mom: zak

Mom: ZAK ANSWER ME

Mom: Zak I don't have time for this

Mom: zak come home now

Mom: Zak I swear

Mom: zak you need to come help with the family

Mom: zak if you don't get home now then I won't hesitate kicking you out

Mom: Mia's worried, come home

Mom: I swear if you're at some party then I'll kill you

Mom: zak

Mom: zak

And the rest of her messages were just here repeating my name. Yeah, that's not gonna be nice to go home to.

I hesitantly open Darryl's, not really wanting to read them. I do it anyway.