Chapter 28

WOAHH we're almost to chapter 30! That's cool :]

———

Zak's POV

The next morning I woke up before everyone else and immediately starting packing a bag. It was just full of medical supplies and some extra food that I was going to give to Darryl before he left. I knew he just got a bunch of food, but I figured it was the least I could do for getting him into this mess.

An hour or two later, he woke up. It was probably around 6 when he woke, and he was definitely tired. The house was quiet, perfect time for him to leave.

"Good morning. I wanted to get you out of here before my family wakes up, if that's alright. I can walk you home," I say, just kind of staring at him. The bag I prepared is in my hands. I see him nod, and stand up. He rubs his eyes.

When he's finally ready, we go downstairs. The window is open, signaling my mother already woke up and left for work. A light breeze blows in.

I spend a few seconds putting on my shoes before we're finally ready to leave. As we exit, the chilly, morning air hits my face.

We walk at a slow pace, not really saying too much. Apparently, school was canceled again today. I checked my phone this morning. Not that I was planning on going, I just wanted to make sure for Darryl.

My eyes shoot over to him. His eyes are half-shut, and he's looking more tired than ever. "Sorry I woke you so early," I say, looking away from him. "You should probably sleep when you get home, after all you only got 3 hours of sleep."

"I guess you're right," he mumbles. "Do we still have school today?" Of course he's worried about that. I shake my head in response.

We walk for a while more, before we finally reach his house. I stop him at the doorway, handing him the small bag I prepared. "Here. It has medical supplies in it so that if your wounds open up you can fix them. It also has some food, but that was just for other reasons."

He smiles tiredly at me, but I don't return the smile. I can't bring myself to. I wave goodbye to him as he shuts the door.

This was gonna be a tough walk home.

———

When I finally got home, the house was chaos. My family was running around, cleaning every spot of the house. I stop one of my younger cousins as they run. "What's going on?" I ask, pointing to everyone around us.

"Auntie said that if the whole house was clean by the time she got back, she'd take us all out to dinner!" he says excitedly. "There was other things on the note, but brother wouldn't tell me what it said. You can go read it though." He runs off again before I can say anything.

I walk into the kitchen, and a note lies on the counter. Can't believe I missed it before. I stare at it blankly, before picking it up and reading it.

Children, teens, whatever, if you clean the house, we'll treat you to dinner. If I see one spot of dust, it's not happening.

Extra note: Zak, I need you to stay home and do your homework whether we're going or not, you have 22 missing assignments. Get them done or-

The note has water spilt on it, cutting off the rest of the sentence. I sigh. I should've known this would happen. I grab the note, throwing it in the trash.

I exit the kitchen, and go straight upstairs. I see Mia waiting outside her bedroom door, but I walk right past her to my room. I fall onto my bed as soon as I get there, covering myself with the blanket I have. I face the wall.

I cover my ears with my hands, blocking out the noise from downstairs. I pull my knees to my chest, staring at the blanket surrounding me. It's not long before I fall asleep. After all, I only did get an hour of sleep beforehand.

———

Ummmmm this chapter is short, but it's like about to get into a bigger plot thing (which was someone's idea that I'm using that's now turning into a big part of the book). Thanks to my comment section, I have found a way to make this book longer. WOO!

Thoughts?- comment them here!

Constructive criticism?- comment it here!

Ideas?- comment them here!

Word Count: 765 (oof)