Chapter 7: Starting to Drift

I woke up with a painful sting on my face. It hurts. I sat up on my bed and saw my dad with a thin wood in his hands.

"Did you slap me?" I ask him with my voice raised.

He just smirked. My dad isn't like this. Then, he stood up and hit my face with it, I began to vomit blood. I was never been hit this hard. He hit me again, this time even harder on my leg. I screamed but no voice came out. I was trapped! I can't breathe!

Wait... but...

I woke up again. Once again, I was drenched with sweat. Why have I been having night terrors these days? Is it some kind of insight? I hope not. My father walked inside my room. 

"What is this time? Nagging or spanking?"

Oh, shoot! That came out wrong! 

"I... I... ummm... didn't mean it! Dad! I...!"

"John, where the hell did you get that attitude to raise your voice in front of your father?" (I know maybe saying where the hell is kinda offensive, but even the most well-mannered person can blow up sometimes when he's really mad.)

My dad slapped me on the face.

"Ah!" I gasped.

He never did that since I was little. My mom only spanks me but not that really hard compared to my dad, of course because he's a man. Due to the impact of the slap, my head landed on the wood part of the bed. I felt pain but I didn't show it. I deserve it for being late and I understand my dad for being hot-headed because of my mom's condition. But... this doesn't feel right. He promised never to hit me... yet, here we are.

*FLASHBACK*

After John was scolded and spanked by his mother because of him listening to Michael Jackson, he escaped through the window of his bedroom and ran to find his father in their church. He burst through the front doors in the middle of the mass. His father looks embarrassed when little John came running to him while the priests looks at him with an annoyed face because of his son's interruption. 

"Please excuse us." he said, while carrying John in his arms.

He ran outside and settled John down the grassy fields. He wiped his son's tears away.

"What happened?"

"Mommy hurt me again. It's not fair daddy! I just don't understand it! Everything is so weird! Daddy, I'm sorry for interrupting you... I'll never do it again. I'm really sorry!"

John began to tear up again. His dad hugged him tightly.

"John, it's fine. Look, I promise never to hurt you no matter what. I'll protect you."

"Really?"

"I promise... and I'll never break it."

*END OF FLASHBACK*

He swore so many times but he still broke it. I was still paralyzed in the same position when he hit me on my bed. Tears was dripping down my eyes. I feel so ashamed! I'm a weakling! I don't want anyone to see me in this situation. I don't want my relationship with my dad to drift but that's not like him. The way his eyes were earlier was filled with pure hatred and fury. But when he hit me, it changed to a demon that doesn't want anything but self-destruction to a human. Like it was his entertainment to hit somebody and watch him suffer. 

Or am I over reacting and making someone look bad? That's so low, John! What's happening to you?

God, help me.