Chapter 9: Lying

We brought Pat in time to the hospital before he lose a lot of blood. Thank, God! I tiptoed to Mom's room but Dad caught me. He squeezed my arms.

"Ow! Dad, let go!"

"Look, I'm sorry about what happened earlier John. I didn't mean it. I was aware of my actions but I wasn't able to control myself. I-"

"You said it yourself! No alcohol or addiction in the house but you-"

"LISTEN TO ME!"

I bit my lip and stopped talking. My mind cannot comprehend this kind of situation. 

"John, promise me you're not going to tell anybody about this! Not even your mom. If she asks you why Pat is here... I want you to lie to her."

"But-"

"No buts! Now, go inside and talk to her. I'll be just outside."

I nervously went inside her room. She lift up her head from the report about my brother's situation and smiled at me.

"Hi, my dear! Are you feeling alright?"

I gulped and nodded my head. 

"Good. What happened to your brother?"

It was hard to speak and my heart feels like it's gonna burst out of my chest, but I tried my best anyway.

"He was beating me out of depression. He accidentally ripped out my shirt in anger and Dad broke the bedroom door to stop Pat from beating me up. Dad accidentally slashed him to defend me."

"Oh, but I understand your brother. I just hate him for doing that."

I can't take this anymore! I just can't!

"Mom the truth is..."

(Oh, no! Will John tell the truth and might cause the fall of his family?)