Chapter 13: Dead Inside

I looked at the clock: 9pm.
It's time for my mother's funeral. It's been 26 hours since she has passed away. Yes, I've been counting. I walked out of the front door and went to her funeral.

*At The Funeral*
All of my family members and my mother's friends were crying loudly. Even though my mom can be strict sometimes, she was a sweet angelic woman... she was my guardian angel. It was raining at the same time... perfect, the saddest event of my life is being accompany by the gloomy weather.

I bodly stepped inside the church. All the people stared at me. Pat motioned me to say something about my mother in the front. I grabbed the mike and looked at my dead mother's body inside the coffin. On her face wrote an expression of love and happiness. As I speak, the funeral music played.

"When I was a kid, my mom used to sing me a lullaby because I was so afraid of the dark. But now... no one would. Even though I was so stubborn, she still loved me. And now, I can't believe that she's gone..."

My voice disorted out, I was crying.

"... Mom, I'll sing to you.
Times are hard, times have changed
Don't you say?
But I keep on holding on to you
It's hard to keep the faith alive day to day
Leaning on the strength I've found in you..."

I didn't finish the Gospel song that we used to sing. My voice became dry from crying. I took one more look to her coffin.

"Goodnight forever, Mom."

3 Days Later
Mom's being bury today. Her coffin disappears beneath the dirt and mud. The weather was stormy. I couldn't stop from crying... I feel like this was my fault. Pat puts his hand on my shoulder. I cried in his arms. I looked to my father. His eyes were... demonic and menacing. He keeps muttering the words:

"It's all your fault why your mother died, John! You came from the Devil! I knew it right after you were born!"

Right now, Dad is running like a bull towards me. He pulls Pat away from me and he raced his fist to punch me. He blows my right cheek. My head landed on the mud. I screamed in pain and disgust. He kicks me hard on the stomach. It's so painful to breathe, I struggle from lack of oxygen.

"Ha.. ah! Uhh... Dad! Please...!"

He kicks my head hard until it bleeds out. My family members rushed to the scene and pulls Dad away from me. Pat picks me up and he rushed me to our house to treat my wounds.

I feel nothing but anger and despair... it's like I'm dead inside.