Chapter 20: Those Nights

We went home immediately, avoiding any reporters that might ask questions that will reveal what my father truly is.

Dad locked me in my bedroom. He fixed my bedroom door when I was in jail. How nice of him! He only did that to lock me in. I mean... what the hey?! I'm not an animal! I kept on staring at myself on the mirror for hours when suddenly, I heard someone calling my name.

"Psst! John! Hey, John!"

"Go away! Leave me alone! You're not real!"

"John! Joh-"

I'm starting to get piss.

"Whadaya want from me?!"

I blurted out.

"John! Open your stupid window! It's me- Chad!"

"Chad?" I was embarrassed of screaming at my childhood friend.

I opened my window and he came in.

"What are you doing here? Dad might catch us and he'll beat the crap out of me again."

"Dude, I'm sorry for what happened to your mother and I'm sorry I wasn't there to defend you from your dad's abuse."

I rolled my eyes in annoyance and said, "Do you realize what you're doing? You're gonna get us in trouble!"

I know, it's a little bit rude but I start to push him towards the window.

"Get out!"

He quickly turned around, stopping me from pushing him.

"I'm gonna get us out of here." he said with a big grin.

"Are you kidding me?! We won't survive out there!"

"Well, do you want to live here forever getting beat up?"

I slightly bowed my head, thinking about it.

"You know, John. Sometimes in life, you gotta take a risk. You can't hide forever. Whadaya say, Johnny boy?"

I sighed and said, "You know what? You're right. It's worth a try. C'mon."

He smiled at me and he helped me pack up my things in a small backpack. I took one more look in my bedroom and climbed down the ladder that's below the window.

I reached the ground and said under my breath, "Goodbye, Dad. Forgive me, Mom."

Chad took my hand while his other free hand is on my shoulder. He's supporting me to walk because my body still aches from the beatings.

"Thanks, Chad! You're the best ever!"

He smiled at me and I smiled back.
"What's the plan now?"

"You'll stay in my apartment."

As we were walking down the road, we were blinded by a light and we heard a long honking sound.

"Chad, look out! Car!!!"
......................................................................

(A/N: Hey, guys! Sorry if I stopped writing. We're just busy packing up 'cause we're moving tomorrow and I also won't be able to update. But don't worry! I'm not gonna stop. Just give me at least 2-3 days to enjoy our new home. Thanks for understanding! Love ya, guys! God bless! <3)