Introduction

Note: English is not my first language so I apologize in advance for any potential mistakes.

Hope you enjoy the reading!

She had to go back to the island.

She didn't want to but she had to. It had been a month since they had gone their separate ways and, now that she had started being able to think less about it, life was forcing her back to him. She had grown to love the island and wouldn't have left it if their relationship hadn't been so clearly damned. Unfortunately, she needed to build herself a life away from there in order to move on and forget him, which was something she couldn't do if they were living in the same place. In such a small place. The mere idea of having to face him after everything which had happened between them and the last things they had said to each other was unbearable for her.

For those reasons, she had been determined to start over in İzmir. Luckily, Kutay bey had called her in the morning after the incident and told her he would rehire her if she promised to devote herself to the job. It would be a shame to lose such a competent worker due to her personal life, he said. Haziran swore that, if he took her back, she would work tirelessly and give her best, and that her personal life wouldn't interfere again. That was her plan and what she had indeed been doing during the past weeks.

However, the universe had its own plans and apparently no intention of letting her break her bond with him. There she was, in the same hotel room where she had cried after he told her he had never loved her and had promised herself that she would forget him for good, packing her suitcases in order to go back to the island and inevitably to him. She sighed, zipped them and sat down on the edge of the bed for a moment. The day before she had handed her resignation letter to Kutay bey. She lied about her reasons for quitting the job. She made up a story about her family having some issues and, although she didn't specify, she highlighted that her presence in the island was much needed. As for her boss, he tried to convince her to stay and proposed to give her an advance of her paycheck. Haziran assured him that it wasn't an economic problem and made clear her decision was definitive and irrevocable. She had always been that strong-headed when it came to her resolutions. She thanked him for the opportunity he had given her just when she needed it the most and asked him for a last favour: to let her resign and leave the day after. He accepted.

Haziran put her thoughts aside, took her suitcases and left the room. At the reception desk, she gave her badge back with a polite but forced smile and went out the door. She stopped for a moment to think. The ferry ticket was already bought. In order to avoid unrequited questions and running into a lot of known faces, she had chosen the last ferry of the day. It would arrive already in the evening so she would go straight to the point. Nobody knew she was coming back yet, not even Biricik. Still, she needed somewhere to stay and her best friend's home was the only safe space she could think of in that situation. She was sure she wouldn't mind and, what's more, she would be delighted to have her around at least for a while. After all, they had been talking for years about the day they could finally live together and by themselves, and Haziran needed her friend and her cheerful personality at this time. She would text her when she was on the ferry.

In the marina, she got into a café to kill time. She saw that they had freshly squeezed orange juice, asked for a glass and sat by the window. She took her phone and wireless earphones out of her purse, put the latter on and unlocked the phone. Then she went straight to the podcast app and pressed play on the one she had downloaded for the journey. It was the third one of a series which apparently had been getting more and more recognition in the past few months and that she had found out after a brief research on that fateful day just a week ago. She rested her back on the modern yet comfy chair of the café and listened carefully as she looked out the window at the people passing by the docks.