11. bölüm

20 weeks pregnant

Poyraz!

A voice echoed in his ear, startling him awake.

-Poyraz, wake up! -the voice was now grabbing and shaking his arm. He squinted his eyes and managed to half open them, not without some effort. He could see the voice was in fact Haziran, who was kneeling on the bed, looking at him with wide eyes in her pyjamas.

-What's happening? -he asked, his voice raspy and sleepy.

-It's the baby. -that sentence woke him up entirely and he opened his eyes to examine her expression- She's kicking. Look! -she dragged herself closer to him and took his hand to place it on top of her growing belly. Poyraz clicked his tongue.

-Haziran, I thought something bad... -he started but she shushed him. They waited in silence until Haziran screamed again.

-Did you feel that? -Poyraz sat on the bed and placed both hands on her belly. After some more silence, he finally felt a new kick and a beaming smile spreaded on his lips.

-I did now. -he said, raising his eyes to meet hers. They looked at each other without uttering a word, just feeling a new emotion filling their bodies. The baby kicked again and Poyraz raised Haziran's pyjamas top to caress her belly properly. He leaned and left a kiss on it- Kızım... -he whispered, his lips tickling her, and then sighed and rested his forehead against the belly. Haziran felt overly emotional and her hands went to stroke his hair.

-It's amazing, isn't it? -she mumbled and Poyraz lifted his head to see her teary eyes. He couldn't help but cupping her face and kissing her lips. He then withdrew to stare at her with a loving expression.

-This is the best feeling in the world. Thank you. -he said, his voice full of emotion.

-And thank you too. -Haziran said in return in a low voice, smiling through the tears. Poyraz hugged her and she clung to him, feeling at peace.

-Thank you for waking me up. -Poyraz said when they separated.

-Of course. I wasn't going to let you miss this moment. -Poyraz gave her a sweet smile- I think she's excited to go to Istanbul too. -Haziran added, fixing her top and leaving some strokes on her belly through the fabric.

-Maybe she's going to be a city girl after all.

-Don't think so. I think she'll be a true islander like her baba. -Poyraz felt his heart full at the sound of that sentence and that last word. He would never get used to that overwhelming feeling and notion.

-What time is it? -he asked Haziran.

-Don't worry, we still have time. It's just that the baby woke me up. -she said and looked down, smiling to herself. Poyraz thought that he couldn't love her more- I'm going to get in the shower, though. -she changed subjects, and dragged herself to the side of the bed to put on her slippers and get up.

-Okay, I'll go make breakfast.

-Tamam.

-Be careful in the shower. -Poyraz added and Haziran turned around to smile at him reassuringly.

-Always. -she left the room and Poyraz found himself smiling foolishly. He then yawned and rubbed his eyes.

He got up and went to the bathroom downstairs. They had been living in their new house for a short period of time. The renovations weren't finished yet as they were doing them in phases, so they weren't using all of the rooms. After washing himself a little, Poyraz went to the kitchen to cook a full Turkish breakfast. They would be travelling for several hours that day so he wanted to make sure they -especially Haziran- had a proper meal at home. Zorba went to say good morning to him, shaking his tail joyfully, and he petted him, then put some food on his bowl.
After being incapable of taking days off at work in the past couple of months, they had finally managed to plan their trip to Istanbul. Haziran had had to order her maternity clothes online after all -her mom and Selma had wanted to make her some themselves too- so the trip would be more focused on buying baby stuff instead. They had made a list of the shops they wanted to go to and were bringing along their new car on the ferry to carry all of their purchases and to take advantage to go on their first road trip together outside of the island. They would stay in Haziran's parents house and would try to make the most of the two days they were going to be there to also visit all of the places she wanted to show Poyraz. His mom would be also joining them one of the days. It was going to be a special experience for them and they were both kind of nervous, but not in a bad way. It would also be their first time travelling with their baby - who they had found out that same week it was going to be a girl.