20 - Longtime dare

“Zulai! Zulai!! Hajiya Jamila called from downstairs parlor.

“Assalamu Alaikum Hajiya, I am very sorry i didn't hear you on time” she apologized and sat on the royal blue and golden Turkish carpet thrown on the middle of the living room while Hajiya Jamila was sitting on one of the royal chairs in the living room, she wore a purple and mustard yellow atamfa that was sewed into a simple gown that have pockets on both side.

“This is not a for apology Zulai! She thundered which sent an extreme shiver down to her spine.

“What is going on Hajiya? She asked with a shaky voice that define how frightful she was.

“Which kind food did you cooked yesterday Zulai? Did you know the kind of embarrassment you caused for this house?! She exclaimed.

“Wallahi Hajiya i didn't know how it happened, i already know that Alhaji don't like salty food, it wasn't intentional, in fact i tasted the food before serving in into their containers but when i took my share home, my kids where not able to eat it because how terrible it taste, Hajiya I am very sorry.” She tried to apologise.

“Zulai, what are you trying to say?! What do you mean by you tasted and it's at first, did the salt grew legs and insert itself into the soup? They took the food to Alhaji's Majalisa yesterday and no one was able to eat not even the Almajirai (beggers) that use to wait for their leftovers, Alhaji was mad at me yesterday and i have to be mad at you today Zulai because you caused me shame before the eyes of Alhaji's friends wives, this will be a taboo to this home and guess what?no one will ever have confidence for the food that comes out of this house anymore! She bellowed with a hoarse voice revealing the pain she caused her.

“Hajiya please forgive me, it was a mistake i know and also don't want to look like a  selfish defender of myself else i will say that I am suspecting that Jasrah of a girl.” She explained with a low head.

“Jasraaaahhh! Jasrah left this house before you finished the food, how did she have contact with the food then? See Zulai, I was the one that brought Jasrah into this house and i still don't like her because she is rude and shamelessly she don't what she is doing and i have no option but to keep her because she is like a daughter to my husband. But don't use her bad behavior to relate her with your mistake. You have never disappointment me like yesterday, it was my rest day but you stressed me mentally and emotionally.”

“Hajiya I am so sorry once again, it will never happen again Inshaa Allah, please accept my apology and forgive me, trust me it will never happen again.” She pleaded sincerely.

“Zulai, i am warning you, this should be the first and the last time something like this would happen in this house, joke with whatever you want to in this house but don't do it with our food, especially when they are taking it to Alhaji's Majalisa otherwise you will face the consequences and i believe you know what i mean by that.” She stated giving her a threatening look.

“Hajiya Inshaa Allah, it will never happen again believebelieve me.” She apologized once again.

“Now get out of my sight, i need an apple and peach smoothie in 5 minutes time.” she ordered.

“Okay Hajiya, It will come on time, Thank you for the second chance.” She left in hurry.

* * *
“Assalamu alaikum” Dije said as she entered her father's room, she met him praying and she waited for him to be done before she started.

“Good morning Baba.” She greeted.

“Good morning Hadiza, hope you are doing well, how is my namesake doing? Hope he slept well? He greeted her back with a caring smile.