Part 1, Day in the Life

[Nelson's Office]

Nelson sat in his chair, holding his breath. After three failures, he wasn't ready to see his punishment.

He heard the door creak open, but couldn't see it. The room was pitch black. He heard the click of heels walking over to him.

Female Voice: Well, well, Nelson. Looks like you tried three times, and now you're out.

Nelson sighed, lowering his head.

Nelson: If I am out, can I at least know who my tormentor is?

He heard the chuckle and saw a familiar woman step into the light. The woman who had been so close to Ava and Nick as children. And the same woman who had given birth to Nick and Nova. Lacy. Nelson stared in shock.

Nelson, voice shaking: Where have you been these past 18 years?

He reached his hand out to gently touch her cheek, tears of joy streaming down his. Lacy allowed him, a slight smile on her lips.

Lacy: I've been around a lot more than you think I have. I was there when you damned Ava to the serum... And our son. I couldn't be there much for Nova. Nelson, you have changed so much since the accident. It seems that Benjamin's eagerness to prove himself infected you, and damaged your morals. And yet...

She placed her hands on his face, lovingly.

Lacy: You're still the man I married twenty years ago.

They wrapped each other in an embrace. One of two people who hadn't seen each other in years, who had been in love.

[One week later]

Ava was in a dark room, frighteningly similar to Location 3. She felt power coursing through her body as she had never experienced before, and she was getting high off of it.

Her eyes glowed red, illuminating the room. Nate, Nick, Nova, Woods, and Sam were all cowering against the dirty wall. She slashed her arm across them, and they vanished in terrified screams. She turned and saw Dad standing in front of Mom, Luna, and Atticus.

Dad, pleading: Ava, don't! Please!

She slowly walked over to them, they were under her control now.

Mom: Please! Ava!

Ava slashed them--

Ava shot up in bed, sweat dripping down her face, panting. She swallowed, fear coursing through her.

Ava, muttering: Son of a bitch! That was worse than the last one!

She swallowed, trying to calm her racing heart. She heard a soft knock at the door.

Ava, shakily: Come in.

Amanda poked her head around the door, face creased with worry.

Mom, concerned: Everything okay in here? I heard you scream, so I thought I'd check on you.

Ava sighed.

Ava: Yeah, I'm okay. Just...just a dream.

She moistened her lips, and Amanda sat on Ava's bed.

Mom: As pale as you are right now, I'd say it was more than a dream.

Amanda stared into Ava's eyes, dark brown to dark brown. Ava finally sighed.

Ava: Yeah...maybe more like a nightmare...

She looked at the floor. Amanda scooted closer.

Mom: Want to talk about it?