Part 18, Sacrifice

[Two Days Later, Syntec]

Ava's side was fine now. She had been given clearance to be tested on. And, Ben hadn't said a word to her since their last conversation.

Oh well. Right now, I think it might be better that way. Testing's rough. Don't need anything else added to it. Damn. You're harsh.

She let out a sigh and stepped into the middle of the testing room. She had no idea what they had planned today, other than it was supposed to be fairly easy. Which she doubted. She looked up at the window where Nelson, Lacy, and Benjamin stood. They looked down at her, faces serious.

Nelson, through PA: Okay, Ava. I saw what you were able to do in the radiation room when your family got trapped. Now, show me what else you got.

Ava scowled.

Ava: No. I'm immune to radiation. What good would it be to "protect" myself from it?

Nelson smirked.

Nelson: Thought you might say that. Maybe this will change your mind?

A door opened, and a young woman came in carrying a little girl. She gently set the girl on the floor, kissing her forehead, before turning to Ava.

Woman: Please don't let my baby girl die from radiation.

Ava swallowed.

Ava: I won't.

The woman gave her a quick smile, then left. Ava looked at the small child sitting on the floor a couple of feet away. The girl couldn't have been more than two years old. She looked up at Ava, with wide, innocent, blue eyes. They looked just like Nick's.

No way, in hell, am I letting anything happen to this kid.

Ava turned to Nelson, glaring.

Ava, determined: Bring it on, Snake.

Almost instantly, Ava felt radiation pouring into the room. She closed her eyes and held her hands out against the radiation. She felt pressure against her hands and opened her eyes. Sure enough, the red force field was surrounding her and the girl. But, she could feel it slipping already.

No. Not this time, damn it!

Ava found more strength and took a breath. She pressed against the pressure, then felt a release. She opened her eyes and saw the shield was staying up. She slowly lowered her hands, and the shield stayed. She was surprised, but she grinned.

I did it.

She sat down on the floor and began to play with the little girl.

Nelson and Lacy were shocked. Benjamin had his arms crossed but was smiling underneath the mask. He knew she could do it.

Nelson, stunned: I think we need to do more testing with this.

Lacy, nodding: I agree.

Benjamin: First, I think we should do Gracelyn a favor, and give her back her daughter.

Nelson nodded, and the radiation was shut off. Ava felt the radiation slowly leaving the room, but she kept the shield up. She gently picked the small girl up, propping her up on her hip.

Ava, kindly: There we go. How's that?

Girl: Fun!

Ava giggled.

Soon, she willed the shield to fade away. The young woman from earlier came over, taking the girl from Ava.

Woman: Oh, Willow!