Part 19, This Isn't Over Yet

[Twenty Minutes Later]

The trip had been silent, so far, but Ava couldn't take it anymore.

Ava: How the hell did you get out of prison, anyway?

Benjamin looked at her. Ava sighed and shifted in her seat.

Ava: Like, did you break out? Or did Nelson pay to get you out? Basically, are you out legally, or illegally?

Benjamin sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.

Benjamin: Nelson got me out, legally. About a half-hour after... After your dad and Nick left, Nelson came in. He had handled all the legal stuff, and I was free. He told me about the deals you planned on making with Syntec, which I already guessed that's where you were going. I insisted on overseeing your trials. My excuse was I was the only one who knew a thing about how the serum worked in the body.

He sighed again. Ava leaned forward, trying to look into his eyes.

Ava, cautiously: And your actual reason?

Benjamin: I... I wanted to learn from you.

Ava blinked.

Ava, curiously: What do you mean?

Benjamin, sighing: Ava, you have no idea what you do to an old man's mind. Especially when it's been tampered with for years.

Ava couldn't believe he was telling her this.

What the hell can some kid do?

Benjamin looked at her with a smile.

Benjamin: Ava, you've shown me a lot. Mostly, the damned serum that holds my life, has ruined it. And... I guess I'm trying to fix it. You were right. How a manipulator like Deb and a psycho like me made such a sweet, brave, and amazing daughter, I don't know. But, I'm glad we did. Even if it was in a test tube.

Ava smiled.

Ava: You know how, way back when I ripped my side open, I said I would probably never trust you?

Benjamin nodded.

Ava: Well, I ate my words when you took your mask off so I could breathe. Benjamin Cobalt, you have earned my trust.

Benjamin turned his head to her, smiling.

Benjamin: Thank you, Ava.

After some more time passed, Benjamin realized something.

Benjamin: Project: 863 probably will beat me with a stick when we get to Spellbound.

Ava, pulling out her phone: Crap! Don't worry, I'll handle it.

Ava pulled up Matt's number and called.

Matt, on phone: Ava?

Ava: Hey, Dad. I got some news.

Dad: We do too.

Ava, concerned: What is it?

Dad: Multiple things.

Ava: Okaaay? Maybe start with the first one, and go from there?

Dad, sighing: Yeah. Okay. But, brace yourself. Nick's gotten some weird powers.

Ava, skeptical: What kind of powers?

Dad: You... You wouldn't–

Ava: Just tell me. You're talking to a person who should, by all definitions, be dead. I think I'll believe you.

Dad: He has this weird... like electricity powers. Like, blue lightning that is made of...

Ava sat up, tense.