Part 3, Meeting Benjamin Cobalt

[Next Morning, 7:08]

Ava and Matt were the first ones up. She could hear him downstairs, probably making breakfast. She sighed and went to do her hair. She wasn't doing anything special, just her classic ponytail.

As she gazed in the mirror, she noticed her hair was starting to darken.

Ava, murmuring: Again.

She slowly brushed the knots out of it, and pulled it up. Every few years, it seemed, Ava's hair changed color. Her hair, originally, had been very dark brown. Then it went golden, auburn, then brown. It seemed it was going back to its original color. Deep brown. Having parents with black and blonde hair had a unique effect on her hair. No one knew where the brown eyes came from. Even though like Wesley's, they saw right through your mask, they were unexpected. Green eyes with blue, you wouldn't think brown. But she shrugged, pushing those thoughts away. She had her family now. She was normal now. And... she was going to be late now if she didn't hurry up. She quickly pulled her jacket on and raced downstairs.

[The Prison]

Matt had his arm wrapped around Ava's shoulders, protectively. As they came to Benjamin's cell, Ava started to shake a little.

Matt: It'll be okay.

Ava kept her face neutral but nodded. She was slightly nervous, even though Ben was behind bars.

He may have saved my life once, but he still has that damned serum affecting him. He's still dangerous.

Ava kept herself tense, ready to act. Although, she wasn't sure how much she'd be able to do. After the explosion, she and the others tried not to use the abilities from the serum anymore than necessary. Which meant they never used them. Practically never, that is.

Matt: Benjamin?

The man in the cell slowly lifted his head, black hair tumbling into his red eyes. He kept silent, staring at Ava.

Matt: You... you gonna say anything?

Neither Ava nor Benjamin spoke.

Matt: Come on, man. You asked us to come.

Benjamin's red eyes glistened.

Ava, growling: I knew this was a waste of time. That Benjamin was a waste of time.

She turned to leave.

Benjamin: You remind me of someone.

Ava stopped dead in her tracks and slowly turned around. Her British accent thickened.

Ava, sarcastic: Oh, really? Pray tell.

Benjamin was laying down now.

Benjamin, coyly: Let's just say, you know him well.

Ava stormed over to his cell, temper already beginning to flare.

Ava: Do you always insist on speaking in riddles?

Benjamin ignored her, sitting up.

Benjamin, chuckling: That look on your face. So familiar.

Ava scowled. Matt was standing off to the side, focused on Ava.

Ava: You wanted us here for a reason. What the hell do you want?

Benjamin: To remind you.

Ava, harshly: Of what?

Benjamin laughed, a soft, crazy, laugh. He ran his hair through his long, black locks.

Benjamin: Of things you've tried to forget.