~6~

The response from Twitter was immediate.

The post blew up, with thousands of comments of worry, and Dream had been texted personally by almost everybody on the Dream SMP. He couldn't be bothered to text them all back individually, too tired to read through most of the messages, and opted to just message them all together on the group discord. Everyone was supportive and worried, especially Bad, who spammed the discord with big red hearts.

The only person he messaged back personally was Sapnap, who was asking if George was feeling better, as well as how Dream himself was doing. He mentioned something about coming back early to help Dream with George, and while Dream wanted to refuse the request, he knew he needed all the help he could get. Sapnap was set to be home in two days, arriving the morning of George's surgery.

Dream refrained from telling Sapnap how he was doing, because he wasn't sure he wanted to face the answer, especially when he was supposed to be strong for George. So, instead of writing how he truly felt, he took a photo of himself smiling with George sleeping snuggled to his chest. Dream had pulled the white and green blanket up over George's shoulders, ensuring that he was warm, and so that Sapnap wouldn't see the IV up close. After he sent the photo, Sapnap replied with a cheap 'dnf is real', which Dream giggled at, and sent Sapnap back a sarcastic 'haha'.

After they messaged back and forth for a little while, Dream stopped replying to Sapnap, and placed his phone down, feeling overcome with the need to sleep. He snuggled up to George, being careful to not harm him, and pressed his cheek into George's hair. He was hoping that the nurse wouldn't suddenly want to come back and check in on George at three o'clock in the morning, because if she did then she would definitely make Dream leave and go home, especially since visiting hours are over, and George is registered to stay the night at the hospital.

As Dream continued to move and make himself comfortable, George grumbled and stirred from his sleep once again.

"Dream?" he whispered, sitting up a little and rubbing his eyes. "Are you okay?"

Dream offered a smile, although it was lost in the dim lighting of the room. "Shouldn't I be asking you that?" George's mood seemed to drop instantly, and Dream caught onto the way George rubbed the bump on his stomach with a frown. The look made Dream's smile drop, and he reached out to George, lacing their fingers together. "Are you okay?"

George glanced up from where Dream held his hand to where Dream's eyes were, looking hesitant. Dream could tell that something was on his mind, and he wanted George to tell him, but he didn't want to pressure the brunette, especially when they were both so tired.

"You know my cat that died? Luca?" George averted his eyes, and pressed further into his stomach, which was an action that would definitely cause him pain. Dream pushed their hands away from his stomach, and used his other hand to cover the area, just in case George pressed down on it again. He didn't want George to hurt himself.

"Yeah? What about Luca?" Dream replied, his voice low. He ran his thumb over George's knuckles, and didn't miss the way his hands were shaking.

"I miss him."

When the first tear left George's eye, Dream didn't reach out to rub it away, waiting for the other boy to continue.

"I miss him so much."

That one tear then lead to another, and soon George was silently crying into Dream's shoulder.

"I-I . . . when I passed out, I thought I woke up and saw him, sitting on my chest," George continued with a strained voice, and Dream was suddenly paying George his full attention. "I reached out to him and held him, and started crying wildly. And then I kind of woke up again, and it was Patches in my arms instead, and she looked so, so scared of me."