~46~

It was cold on the roof – much colder than any of them anticipated.

George was sitting beside Dream, head leaning against his shoulder while two small kittens slept in his shirt, struggling to warm. Patches was nuzzled in blankets in her blue and white pet carrier, which was secured between Dream's thighs as he helped hold the tarp over his and the other's heads, who were all huddled together for warmth. Patches' body heat wasn't enough to keep the kittens warm, and after listening to them whine for a little, they had made the decision for George to hold them in his shirt, bundling himself in warm hoodies and blankets in an attempt to warm them both.

So far, they had been up there for just over an hour, and there was no sign of help.

The strong wind made it close to impossible to hold the tarp over their heads, but they managed by wrapping it around themselves and sitting on it, making a make-shift crappy tent. Luckily, the tent was large and lightweight, which made it easier to handle and hide under, but the wind kept pounding the thick fabric into their bodies uncomfortably.

The rain had finally given them a break for a moment, and it had died down to a lazy, looming drizzle. It was probably going to kick back in after a short while, but the boys took the time to try and rest a little more and eat some canned food, which was quickly running out. They had taken everything with them when they got to the roof, and they couldn't go back now, no matter how much they wanted to.

A large battle wave had crashed down to the bottom of the hill, and in an instant, the water had risen so high that just the framing of Dream's window could be seen, the large hole engulfed in water. They were practically trapped on the roof now, and George was silently preying that the roof wouldn't collapse under them. If that happens, it'd practically be a death sentence.

George looked down at his shirt, pulling it away from his chest for a moment and reaching his hand in, tracing the two kittens' soft fur with a careful finger. They both felt warm, thank god, and were breathing steadily, fast asleep. He trailed his finger over the grey kitten's hair, pursing his lips, and then did the same with the spotted one, letting out a heavy breath. The kittens were adorable.

He looked up at Dream, still leaning against his shoulder, and noticed that the other was looking down his shirt, smiling gently at the little kittens. He stroked one of the kitten's back again, and then pulled his hand away, wrapping the small babies back into his shirt.

"They're so cute." Dream muttered, shuffling a little closer and pulling a thick camping towel further over the two of them after it had slipped back a little.

The brunette hummed to show his agreement, rubbing the sleeping kittens through his shirt to help warm them. "They are. I hope they don't get too cold."

Dream nodded, still smiling. Patches meowed from the carrier, and they both knew that she was upset at being separated from her babies. "I'm sure they'll be fine with you, but we've got to give them back to Patches so that they can have something to drink. We don't want them to go hungry."

"Yeah, you're right."

A few more hours passed, and the kittens were back in George's shirt after being given half an hour to drink some milk. Nothing much had happened in a while and the rain still seemed to be holding back, and at that point, it was safe to assume that they were finally out of the eye of the hurricane. It had been weeks since the first storms started, so this hurricane was clearly a duration record holder under Hurricane John, which had lasted a month long in 1994 through the Hawaiian Islands, Johnston Atoll, the Aleutian Islands, as well as Alaska. It was crazy how wild the weather could get on this side of the world, and it made the others ponder how the rest of Florida, states and nearby islands were managing. It was probably a nightmare over there, too.