|Chapter One|

NEW BOOK ALERT on my page (Love at War) please check it out. You'll love it.

A/N: Okay I'm just go I to be honest with you guys. I initially thought of abandoning this book since it wasn't gaining as much love as I thought it would. With every chapter the reads were dropping and so were the votes but I decided to come back and finish what I started.

If you gave this book another chance, thank you so much and may God bless you.

.....

It had been six long years since April had returned home, six years since she'd moved to Manhattan to further her life and career as a renowned dermatologist. Six years since she had left Colt behind in her past where he belonged and six years since she'd heard the familiar sound of her mother's Christian music ringing through the house. Waking up to the faint sound of spoons clattering against ceramic and pots, accompanied by the sound of someone vacuuming.

Strolling into the living room dressed in a hoodie and a pair of black cotton shorts, her hair held up into a full bun and her glasses perched on her nose, she goes to refill the empty mug of coffee in her hand. Evelyn was at the stove whipping up something special for the family, so she'd said and from the looks of it, it was turkey. According to her, April returning after six years called for a thanksgiving celebration and of course everyone was pleased with the idea, who didn't like turkey?

Out front, Cherry and their father, Ben were busy shovelling through the pile of snow that had covered their front porch and part of the driveway. It was a tedious work. The snow storm last night had been horrible, wind blowing at a speed of eight kilometres per hour. Thankfully it was just about when the wind had begun to pick up that April arrived, shocking them. At first Evelyn had broken down, weeping that her poor child was out in the storm, before returning to her normal self and welcoming her back with a tight hug that nearly left her gasping for air. Ben had smiled broadly and given her the usual pat on the back that most fathers would usually give to their sons, then Cherry being the more dramatic one squealed and rushed into the living room, knocking over two lamps and causing a mess.

She pushes open the front door bracing herself for the harsh cold, knowing fully well that she's only dressed in a hoodie and a pair of shorts. Placing the mug of coffee down, she heads back inside and changes into something more appropriate for the weather change before joining them downstairs with a shovel of her own. Of course she had to sneak it past Evelyn who didn't want her doing anything till she left back to Manhattan by New Year.

"Thought you said you didn't want to join in?" Ben asks, wiping away some freckles of snow from the stubble on his chin. "Mum didn't let me that's why. You know I wouldn't want to pass a chance at doing some work," she replies with a chuckle. The front porch had been cleared up and the driveway was still partially filled with snow.

"Are you excited for Christmas this year? " Cherry asks. "Duh, why'd you think I'm here. For the record, I've always wanted to come back home but with work in the way, it was almost impossible, " she sighs, digging her shovel in a fresh pile of snow. "As much as we wanted you to come back, we understand but we're happy you're here. Maybe one day your mum and I will come visiting, " he states, looking up to see her reaction. "I'd like that."

"I'm sure Colt would love to see you again, " Cherry says, a hopefully glint in her eye. They all knew what happened between she and Colt.

Colt and April used to be best friends back in high school and they'd grown closer and closer with everyday that passed. Colt had always been the golden boy of Bridgeway high, being the captain of the basketball team and the typical straight A student. Everyone loved him. He was good looking, smart and very nice to people, something that drove the girls crazy.