20

June 22nd, 2020

"It wasn't him!" JJ yelled. "It was me."

He was currently taking the blame for sinking Toppers boat. I wanted to stop him, but there was no point. He was sacrificing himself to keep Pope's record clean. Out of all of us, he had the most to lose. Me and JJ have nothing to lose.

Of all bitches in the world, Topper wins top spot. I've never actually seen him do anything from the kindness of his heart. He comes from one of the richest families in figure eight and still chooses to press charges for a boat he'll have replaced in the next 6 hours. The rich are completely absurd.

I spent the majority of the afternoon with John B to get my mind back on the royal merchant. Apparently, he's dabbling in kook pussy now, but it's a secret. While I was busy beating up her boyfriend, Sarah Cameron was mackin on my boy JB.

I mean I'm happy for him I guess, but he literally said how he couldn't stand her like two days ago and now he's head over heels. His problem is falling in love too easy with any girl who gives him the time of day. He had a fatty on me for years and I had no idea, but I think that had to do with me focusing everything into Rafe.

After getting Denmark's letter translated by Mr. Sunn, we're for sure back in the g game, now we just have to figure out what it means. Today is midsummers, the day kooks dress extravagant and drink expensive alcohol to show off their elite status. This was something I hated going to, but guess I'm here. I split from John B a few hours ago because instead of being a lavish guest, I am helping Heyward with the seafood he brought.

"You wanna spend your whole life grindin it out like me?" He's been ripping on Pope all day about the boat.

Pope bent over to grab another cooler. "It's your grinding that's keeping us afloat in the first place."

Heyward turned to me now, "Tell him, Jo, how much easier his life will get with a college degree and chance to live like these people."

I looked around the truck to the fancy dressed people awaiting the beginning of the soirée. "Yeah, it's definitely easier."

His dad continued ripping on him and his choice of friends for another minute before he started conversation with a kook. "Don't mind anything he says." Pope spoke up.

I helped him pick up a cooler of oysters to carry over to the grill. "He's not entirely wrong. I mean you do need to get that scholarship and get the fuck out of this place. Your friends will always be there, even if they do find 400 million."

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

"Don't you want to get out of here? You used to probably be a guest at midsummers but now you're an employee."

I opened the cooler. "Wow thanks for the shot in the gut-"

He quickly interjected, "Oh shit I didn't it mean it that way, just would think you would want to be rich, too."

"You just focus on that interview, the rest of us can figure out these clues."

"Excuse me, sir." An English accent spoke, "Do we have to shuck these ourselves?" I turned to see Kie. "'Cause it might mess up my costume."

They did a handshake and laughed. "That accent was bad."

"It was. I was gonna let it go." Kiara pushed a piece of her hair to the side before looking at me. "Jo, this is like capital punishment for you, why are you here?"

I looked around at the pretentious assholes who looked at me with pity. "Pope needed help."

She turned towards Pope, "You ever seen this many kooks in one place?"