10

September 24th, 2016

It's been over a week since I've talked to Rafe. I seen him twice after first period this week but didn't bother giving him more than one glance. He really pissed me off with how he acted and I really don't want to see him. If he acted like that when we weren't even together, imagine if we ever actually started dating.

After the party last Friday, Cody spent the night at his friend's and me, Randa and JB went to the beach and sat there till we sobered up. None of us really talked, mostly because we didn't know what to say.

In the meantime, I decided to participate in my first freshman activity, which happened to be a barbecue behind the lacrosse field. It's safe to say I won't be attending any more freshman festivities.

The people at this school really rub be the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, some of them are nice and well rounded, but others talk about pogues like they're scum and it really pisses me off. I'm not the type of person to sit back and watch people talk shit, especially when my best friend and mom were born and raised in the cut.

Furthermore, I was asked to leave 45 minutes into the barbecue due to my "inappropriate language" and "aggressive behavior".  Sounds like a bunch of fucking bullshit to me.

I was lounging in the pool when I heard the doorbell ring. If it's important someone else will get it. I'm just waiting for Norma to get the fuck home, so she can take me to my moms. I was supposed to be there this morning, but Norma decided to go to the fucking country club and said I couldn't walk.

"She's not gonna see you, and frankly, I'm not too much of a fan of you anymore either." I heard Cody say from the living room. I looked over and saw him pacing aggressively towards the back door. "I'm sorry he won't go." He gestured towards the figure behind him which was, who guessed it, Rafe.

"I know you probably don't want to see me, but-".

I cut him off. "You're right, I don't."

"I know," he continued. "But I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry for what I said and I had no right to accuse you of anything. I get too carried away when I get drunk, and I didn't mean what I said."

I sat up on my pool floatie. "Yes, you did mean what you said, because for some reason you think that we're together after hanging out a few times, even though I told you I just wanted to be friends." I snapped.

"You're right, you're absolutely right." He scoffed and ran his fingers through his hair. "I got too ahead of myself. I understand now that the feeling wasn't mutual."

"Listen, you were a nice guy, and I kinda liked you. But, you basically slut shamed me and yelled at my best friend, so is that it?" His apology seemed sincere but it's a week too late. The friendship we had wasn't strong enough for me to feel the need to mend it. At least not right now, I have other things to worry about.

He dropped a jean jacket on the pool chair. "You left your jacket. Had your name on the tag. That's it." He began walking away after Cody glared at him, trying to act tough. He stopped and turned his head. "Again, I'm sorry. Text me if you ever want to talk."

"Are you staying till Monday?" Norma asked as she pulled onto my moms street.

I unclicked my seatbelt, and put my bag on my lap. "Yeah, my mom'll get me to school." She glared at me knowing I skip school a lot. "I promise, Norma. No funny business."

"Good. See you later." I nodded then jumped out the range.

I walked in my moms house and saw her making lunch. "Hey momma." I gave her a side hug while she cut fruit.

"Hey sweets. You hungry?" She asked. My mom was an amazing woman. She's always provided the best she could for me, even though she didn't have the money to do so. She's been alone in obx for the past 4 years, ever since my Aunt Reece moved to Georgia. She wanted my mom to go with her, but she didn't want to leave me. Nonetheless, she does have her friends here, but I'm the only family she's got.

"Always." I sat down at the miniature table and grabbed my grilled cheese.

"So, what you been up to? How's freshman year going?"

My mom was always someone I could talk to. I told her everything, well almost everything. I never mentioned sex or drugs. "It's been quite eventful actually. I've been to a few parties and I got in a- uh fight." I looked up from my sandwich to see my moms eyes go wide.

"Jo! Why are you getting into fights?!" My mom yelled, concerned.

I shrugged. "I was defending my friend."

My mom sighed heavily and shook her head. "Jo, honey, please take care of yourself, okay? I don't need you to get arrested for something stupid. You need to succeed in life, you need to have it better than I did. That's why you live over there." She lectured.

"I'm sorry, mom. She was drunk anyway, it's not like she'd ever snitch. That would just be stupid on her part. And the guy who threw the party didn't care."

"Who's party was it?"

I thought about this morning and how Rafe apologized. I still don't know how I feel about the situation, but I also can't help but feel he was being sincere. "This guy from school, his dad is Ward Cameron, I don't know if you know him."

She rolled her eyes and sucked her teeth. "Who hasn't heard of that rich asshole. You know he used to be a cook? And now he acts all high and mighty. Pathetic, really." I raised my eyebrows and grinned at her reaction. My mom likes a lot of people, so it's rare to see her talk shit about someone besides my step mother.

"But forget the douchebag father, is the son cute?" She asked.

"Uhh, yeah he's cute, and uh- yeah." I murmured.

She raised an eyebrow at me. "And what? You gotta crush?" She teased.

"I do not have a crush," I interjected. "He has a crush on me." I corrected. I don't have to have a crush on every guy I speak of.

"So you're not interested?"

"No, I hardly even know him. I can't like someone I don't even know."

She grabbed my plate and took it to the sink. "Does this have to do with John?"

"John? John B?" I asked, confused. "What about him?"

"Baby, you're a smart girl. You can't tell that that boy has a crush on you?"

I shook my head. "He does not." Right?

" Right?

•••••

I've been really busy lately with school and work that I haven't gotten around to updating for you few readers, but quick update.

Recap: Rafe apologized for how he acted at the party and Jo's mom told her John B has a crush on her.