2

September 9, 2016

"No, no way you're a freshman. I don't believe it." Rafe asked astonished, after I told him my age.

"True shit, bro. You've never seen me before this year, why wouldn't you believe it?" I asked packing up all my stoner essentials. Rafe and a I had continued to smoke in this stairwell for another 20 minutes. Miranda had texted me saying she got stuck in a pop quiz.

"You could've been a transfer, it's a new school year." He argued, helping me stand up. "My weed doesn't burn like that and I call myself the ultimate stoner. I just can't believe a freshie is outplaying me in the weed game."

"Call me a freshie one more time and I'll throw myself down this stairwell." I said in a super serious tone. For a second he actually looked nervous like I was suicidal. "Just fucking with you, relax. Lots of childhood trauma but I'd never jump. And your dealer must sell you shitty weed then." I chuckled.

To my luck, the fire alarm went off, probably caused from all the smoke in the stairwell. "Well, it was nice to meet you Rafe but I gotta make a trip to the South side."

"Hey maybe we could do this again sometime? I'll pitch in some money." He yelled as I walked  away down the crowded halls. I turned around and gave him a thumbs up, then continued my strut out of this toxic school.

••

After two bus rides I made it to the other side of the island. I walked past all the trash into my moms house, or "shack" as I like to call it. Growing up on both sides of the island really set my head on straight. This whole kooks vs pogues crap is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. These people only divide the classes so hard because they refuse to intermix themselves. Don't worry, I still get the looks every time I come to the cut wearing $200 shoes, and every time I go to school wearing the ripped converse my mom gave me.

"Mother dearest, are you here?" I called out as I dropped my bag on the floor.

"No, but I am." A friendly voice answered from my porch.

"Johnny boy, what're you doing here?" I questioned walking outside.

"I'm taking your moms recycling, she said I could don't worry. But what the hell are you doing here?" He asked.

John B is my only friend in the cut. I never used to come here often but when I did, I spent my time with my mom, not out on the town. We only started hanging out during the summer after my dad died. My friends know about JB but his don't know about me. Says he's too nervous to tell his pogue crew he hangs outs with a kook.

"The fire alarm went off at school, so I knew it was a sign for me to leave." I responded.

"You're insane. If I cut school as much as you, my dad would beat my ass." He exclaimed.

I threw an empty soda can at his head for trying to act like a good kid. "You're in 8th grade, kid. There is no sneaking out of school."

"We're only 9 months apart, Jo, don't act so high and mighty."

"Well," I started, licking my top lip. "Did you have a smoke sesh with a hot junior today, didn't think so."

His attention immediately averted from the cans to me. "No way, who."

"His name's Rafe and he's a junior that's all I know." I responded, disappointed myself.

"That name sounds familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it." He's scratched his head trying to think if he happened to know Rafe. "If you get me a last name I can do some extreme digging."