1

September 9, 2016

"Jo, you need to get up right now or I'm calling the police!" My haggard step mother yelled. It's now 8:10 am and I'm officially ten minutes late for school. "Do you realize you are not making a good impression at this school that your father put a lot of money into."

"That's exactly why I'm not going," I groaned into my pillow. "I'm taking an orphan grief day,  Norma."

"Stop pulling that bullshit with me you've already taken three and school started two weeks ago! I thought you were serious at first, but now you're just fucking around. And you're not an orphan!" She yelled ripping my blankets off me.

"Fine then take me to my mother's." I demanded. Norma would rather have me lay in this bed all day than have to take me to the other side of the island in her Range Rover. Pogue life disgusts her.

"Maybe I should and let her deal with you. I didn't sign up for this shit." She spat.

I stood up and put some socks on. "Lady, what are you talking about you have a whole ass son, you're a parent this is nothing new. Now let's go or else I'm gonna be even later to school thanks to you."

She scoffed following me out my bedroom door. "You've got to be kidding me. Are you even gonna change your clothes?"

"Norma I'm late and not making a good impression can we hurry up here." I exclaimed sarcastically. I love twisting her nips (not literally).  I drive that woman insane, but I don't feel bad, she's a gold digger.

I had been out late last night surfing with my friend John B, which is the reason I wanted a day off today.

As you've heard, my dad is currently resting in peace. I was a bastard child raised mostly by my dad because him and my mother agreed it was a better life for me in Kooklandia. I still get to see my mom on weekends but I'm currently attending Kook Academy, which my dad had already paid for in advance.

His death was pretty sudden and he didn't leave a will, so Norma got everything. Legally, her and my dad have custody of me so she has to keep me.

We pulled up to the doors of the Kook school and Cruella made me fix my hair before we got out.

"For dear god, of all the nice clothes you have why do you wear stuff like that." She commented disgusted at my outfit.

"It's a tank top and shorts, relax."

We got to the principal's office and we pulled the whole "depressed because of dads tragic death" excuse which didn't score me a detention. Norma walked me to class to make sure I didn't just leave like I did yesterday. I think she needs to stop watching me and start watching her own son because that boy isn't going anywhere with his rat brain.

I strolled into the last 10 minutes of first period and sat next to my step brother. "Well if it isn't my sister everyone. Finally decided to come?" He asked smiling. I really despise him when he calls me his sister, at most we're roommates.

"Ya, but not without your mom groping me. You really need to control her." I once again sarcastically explained. "And am I gonna have to tell her you're having sex with a Pogue or are you gonna give me back my pipe I know you stole this morning?"

"Why you gotta be a bitch like that though? I thought we had each other's backs? C'mon Jo." He asked in his worst rendition of trying to act stabbed in the back.

"Listen, Cody. I will always have your back because I've never been a snitch, but don't fuck with me and my weed." He rolled his eyes and handed it back just as the bell rang.

I walked down the hall to my next class, just kidding, I actually walked right past it. I saw my only girl friend at this school and asked her if she wanted to go smoke in the stairwell with me. "Yeah give me five minutes, don't lock it!"

I made it to my newly claimed smoke spot, the stairwell, and got the essentials out. I've only been at this school for two weeks but I got a good grasp on the way things roll around here. This stairwell isn't used in the mornings because it's a teachers only stairwell and none of the teachers have to go to the staff lounge this early.

I sprinkled grains of crushed weed into the bowl of the pipe and began smoking away. It's been more than five minutes and Miranda isn't here yet. Should I lock it? Nah.

The door jiggled, but I didn't panic knowing it was Miranda, except it was a boy that walked in. "Oh shit." I exclaimed putting the pipe behind my back trying to act as normal as possible.

"Yeah, 'oh shit'. Better let me hit it or I'm telling." The preppy boy asked, shutting the door.

"Be my guest." I responded as I extended my hand out to him to grab my pipe.

He took a puff then looked at me laughing. "I'm Rafe."

•••••

•••••

So that's the end of the first chapter what did y'all think?

Recap: Jo's father is dead and she lives with her stepmom and stepbrother. Her mom is a Pogue on the other side of the island.

This really is only the beginning for them. Jo probably shouldn't have gone to school that day.