Failure To Understand

Xavier was sitting next to me- no. He was almost sitting on me. It was a plush white couch that sunk down when you sat on it and it was, well of course, made for one person. But my clingy brother seems to detest those rules.  

His back was on me and he was watching old football games, snacking on a bowl of chips with our fathers famous salsa recipe. I didn't know why he eats it, that stuff is like fire.  

Conrad was still there, sitting across from us on our white love seat, scowling at me. So far I've gotten one thing figured out.  

He was a player. 

But why had he glared at me? Well, it could've been because I provoked him the first time. Maybe if I had surrendered he'd back off. I knew for sure I didn't want to risk having a killer watching over me for a month. 

Before he could look away I tilted my head and raised my eyebrow in a questioning way. It may have made me look like an idiot but I just wanted him to stop. If it was going to be like this when I was with my brother, what would it be like when we were alone? 

Conrad stared blankly at me with stormy eyes for a second, then directed his precious attention the the football game.  

"So Mace, are you gonna have people over?" Xavier looked at me, as if I actually would. I shrugged to him. Surely I wouldn't, I never had time anymore. I had plenty friends, but I just never wanted to go anywhere or see any of them either. 

"Since you quit soccer I'm sure you'd have more time on your hands. Just... No more of Bradley's crowd. They always take our beer." My brother complained and I pulled a piece of my hair out that had been bothering me.

I chuckled. "And they get drunk. Lightweights... But no, don't worry I've learned my lesson with Bradley." I had my head up and away from anyone's eyes. I wouldn't show my embarrassment. Though I had to admit I was stupid. But when a player meets an innocent girl, what's there to do? Shag and run.  

Xavier soon after beat the shit out of him, and Bradley's 'crew' hated me ever since.  

But when a player, AKA Conrad, meets someone like me: past that shit. What would happen now? I mean, it wasn't like he was flirting with me or sending me suggestive messages, it was quite the opposite. He really disliked me, and I hadn't had a clue why, it was the first time we'd met. 

"He hasn't tried talking to you has he?" Xavier asked, not really sounding like he cared, attention focused on an old Allen High school game he'd played in. I couldn't hold back the smile that came when he was being protective over me. I needed a father figure right now and I got Xavier- the closest thing to it.  

"No," I answered. Which was quite a lie. After I had woken up to no one in my bed, I had a wash of depression, I was disappointed in myself for not seeing it coming. I didn't cry because I was too numb to feel anything. To be honest, I hadn't cried in years. Some said it wasn't healthy, but it was how I was and I was fine. Bradley ignored me for a long time, then he suddenly came back. He crawled back to me as of nothing happened and after that night when I witnessed him charm another girl, I did too. That's the only thing that could get me by at the time. Nothing happened.  

Then along with his 'posse' who hated me, except Camden, he tried to get me back. Bradley came and brought apologies and pink flowers and teddy bears to school. Well, to my locker. Then he'd do the old fashioned Bradley and stand behind me until I thanked him. One time he even laid one on me. In front of everybody.  

He was angry at me for a week because of the public rejection. But soon enough he was begging again. Apologizing and making love accusations. It really irritated me at how persistent he was. I guess the boy has never really been rejected.