His Confession

I didn't want to go home, but I knew I had to. I mean, since I was done with work on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays, I had no choice. It was already late, I stayed at school until I had to go home. I even drove around a bit to avoid Conrad. Yes, that's what it was. It was that stupid alluring asshole who made me think uncomfortable things. He turned me into an idiot.

Finally giving in to the time, I went home. Taking a deep breath before stepping out of my truck and I walked to the front door. He almost ran me over, not watching where he was going. He stopped and looked at me with keys in his hand.

He was leaving. Of course he'd usually leave later but I was relieved while disappointed. He looked at me like a deer in headlights, of course I couldn't help but copy the gesture. I hadn't expected him to leave so early. What was it, a date? An uneasy feeling came over me and I broke eye contact, instead fixing it on the ground below me.

Conrad looked away, too. Still not saying anything. Was he mad at me? "Work." He explained to me, answering my unasked question.

"Night Conrad." I said quietly, pushing past him quickly, not wanting to look at him. Or talk to him. I hated this feeling I got around him. He made me want to pull my hair in frustration.

"Later, Macy." I heard him grunt and walk to his trash truck.

I shut the door behind me and greeted my brother. "You okay?" He asked stuffing his mouth with donuts.

I gave him a look saying, 'Why wouldn't I be?'

He shrugged reading my look and muttered a "Nevermind." Continuing stuffing his face.

"Donuts? What's the occasion?" I joked crossing over to the bar where he had his dozen box and milk.

He looked at me with an eyebrow high. "There has to be an occasion for donuts?" Xav smiled at me and I gave him side hug.

I gave him a light chuckle. "You enjoy your donuts occasionless." Feeling suddenly sick, I looked away from the beautiful circle cakes and held my breath. Conrad gave my stomach a 180, it completely flipped and now I wanted to go to bed although I wasn't tired.

"So how are you?" My brother asked me while biting into another. He was about to swerve into the Mark questions and I wasn't ready for those. It barely had been a day and I was still fighting insecurity. Sometimes I'd pretend I didn't need to.

"Fine." I answered getting a glass of water and gulping it down.

Xav just looked at me but didn't say anything. I knew how hard it must've been for him considering how much he cared. He wanted to know of course. Because he thought he could fix things. It was just a matter I had to let fade on its own.

"I need to read." I said quickly before to conversation jumped elsewhere. I knew if I read, I'd soon be asleep. It was a habit I had, reading until sleep came. And on most days when I needed to stay awake I'd drink an entire pot of coffee. Caffine was just a lousy bitch who did nothing to me.

Skipping up to my room I grabbed my John Steinbeck book with five of the best written stories. I was in the middle of Of Mice and Men. But it wasn't long before I dozed off once again.

Dreams usually didn't mean much to me. I rarely remembered them. That night I had a dream about Mark. And I remembered it. And it was in my head all throughout the week.

We were kissing. And next thing I knew we were parting ways forever. He was gone from my life just as soon as he entered it. I had a mixture of anger and pure saddness that dwelled in my heart. So I tried to runaway. But not because of him, never because of a boy. Because that feeling in my heart never left. And the scariest part about it was