Not Beauty nor Love

"Is it okay if I speak with you for a minute?" She asked with long makeup filled lashes blinking at me; studying my face as I was to her.

"We don't want to buy anything." Xavier snapped, I turned around and gave him an uncomfortable look. He backed off in response, knowing he shouldn't be rude. Knowing he should shut up because guilt was still eating at him at the time.

"I'm not exactly selling.. anything." The woman was at a loss for words and clutched into her case tighter.

The snow was falling on her hair like it had once before. I felt tall and mature again. And tiny and little. But when I turned around there was only Xavier, not my dad. The woman wasn't bending over to speak with me, she only stared straight into my eyes, we were the same height.

I let out a sigh. "Come in," I told her. And she showed relief, and I covered any emotion needing to peak out. Using my fathers tactic. I could tell this woman wasn't good at masking emotions, I used that to my advantage.

As she followed me, Xavier scrambled inside the house. I slammed the door shut. "Stupid snow." I muttered, kicking off my shoes and shrugging off my jacket, even though the house was cold as can be. My jacket was filled with snow and it was like a disease to me.

Cranking up the heat I turned to see her standing awkwardly. I waved my hand over to the couch. "You can sit, make yourself comfortable." I looked in the kitchen and realized Xavier went upstairs.

"Xav!" I shouted at the last step. He didn't answer. "Xavier, get down here!"

He peeked his head out and I motioned him to come down. He hung his head and stood by me. "Listen, stop acting like this, you were stupid, you made a mistake, you've had enough time beating yourself up today." I told him and he hugged me tightly.

"I'm sorry." He said, kissing my head.

"Don't apologize to me." I whispered referring to Carol, me going into the living room where the woman waited.

She sat staring at us. "Do you want coffee? Or tea or hot chocolate?" I pointed Xavier into the kitchen.

She tapped her long red finger nails in wonder. "Yeah I'll take some hot chocolate." She said quietly.

It was strange. She was such a bold looking woman with such a quiet attitude. "Xav-"

"I got it, I got it." He said with his hand up.

I sat across from her and rubbed my head. Stress was eating at me, I remembered I hadn't studied once the entire break. I still had more than a week left but I needed to stop cramming.

"I'm Macy, by the way. That's my brother Xavier." I told her, holding my hand out and she took it, squeezing it.

"Where are your parents?" She asked boldly. There it was. She switched fast.

"We're here on our own." I said.

"How old are you?"

"I'm eighteen. Xav is twenty-three." And Conrad was twenty-five, I thought. Missing him since he was gone. But taking back the sudden thought when I reminded myself of the night before. Fear over took me and I looked so weak. I felt so stupid.

"You're adults." She whispered with mute eyes. Light green eyes dead and dull.

I looked at her and realized she looked the same. Young, beautiful, wealthy. "So, what brings you here?" I ask casually and she's sitting, leaning forward with clasped hands, and still looking so elegant.

She took a deep breath and looked at me. "My name is Callisto Agape." Her name was odd, it was unusual. I hadn't known then that her name had meant 'most beautiful' while her family name meant 'love.' "Otherwise known as Calley." Calley was taking her precious time with talking, deep slow breaths in between. I tried to hold onto my patience.