Racetrac Reunion... At a Bar

"Hey," There was a light knock at the guest room door of the penthouse.

It was our third day in Padre and Calley suggested I stay a night there, and it was a wonderful idea because I went to bed feeling like a princess.

It was six in the morning and I sat up in the giant cushiony bed reading John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men when Michael came in. He stood at the door way and smile at me, his old wise and happy eyes sparkling.

"Would like to accompany me in taking a morning walk along the beach, watching the sun rise?" He asked me with a joking properness.

I smiled at him. This was my chance, I had never taken a walk along the beach just for the sun. I lived in my lonely house. I lived- sleeping and awaking, always expecting darkness. It wasn't wicked, it was lonesome. But now, it was for the sun, I myself rose for the rising sun and that made me feel warmth. Maybe I didn't need Conrad to feel comfort. But it would still never be the same.

"Of course I would," I said jumping out of bed and slipping on my shoes.

That was one of my favorite memories. We talked, and he was just as interesting as Ara. They were two adventurous people who had nothing but wisdom and stories of experience.

The sun was beautiful. Michael and I stood in the freezing cold waves of Spring and the wind surrounded all of me. The sky was filled with colors and I remembered finding myself in that space. It was the earth, the ocean, the wind, and the sun. And I was in the middle. You were never alone in the end, because there will always be the sun, the moon, the stars, and the air.

And we were apart of it all.

...

"I love the ocean, but I think it's time I go on home." I told Calley and Michael and Ara.

They understood, but didn't want me to leave.

"We'll pay for your ticket." Ara said to me. I would be taking a plane home this time. The house would be mine and mine alone.

Alone.

That's why I decided to go home. I had figured out how to officially cope with absence. No, not 'getting a pet' although I was planning on getting a dog once I headed to London.

I figured out contentment of heading home alone. Of having empty space around me that I no longer longed to be filled.

"Is everything set?" Michael asked. "Do you need money? I don't want you to run out of everything just to head home." He told me. But he didn't know...

"No, no, I'm set, I'm good!" I told him and Ara pulled me off to the side.

"I have something for you," She told me.

And she pulled out of a pink polka-dotted Loreal bag a long chain beaded false ivory. "It was my mothers. Her mothers, actually. She got it in Africa and it's very expensive, so take care of it." Her long finger nails tapped it lightly and she dropped it into my palm.

I looked up and leveled her bright smile. "Thank you." And I said it to all three of them.

...

"Dallas, here we are." I sang to myself, drowsily looking for my bags. It was a short plane ride of course, only I napped too late and I was obliviously tired.

I stood there for about half an hour when a handsome young man came behind me and politely put his hand at my back. "I'm sorry but I notice you standing here for a while. You've been looking for your bags?" He asked kindly.

I only nodded, trying not to look at his face too often.

"Where were you flying from?" I wasn't sure what he was trying to do, but I answered him and he smiled, almost started laughing. "Oh," He said with a grin. "You're in the wrong lane." He told me and my face heated quickly.