California Christmas

The drive literally took forever and I didn't want to stop. When we drove through New Mexico we saw some mountains, and I longed to stay there just to paint them. We drove up to Arizona and Conrad was driving at the time. I took away the normal directions and gave him some myself, though I could tell he hated it. I never understood why men are so against directions.

Conrad was getting impatient as I told him to make the wrong exits. I saw as he tapped his thumb angrily on the steering wheel. "Where are we fucking going, Macy? Do you want us to get lost?" He said raising his voice, I didn't miss a beat and flinched as he did.

I ignored it though and continued reading him directions off my phone.

And finally, we were there.

The Grand Canyon.

When Conrad saw the sign he automatically loosened in shock. His eyes went wide and he just stared as we entered.

I looked back at Cory who was playing a video game on Conrad's phone with his headphones in. Xavier had his music in and he bobbed along looking like he was texting Carol. As we drove into it I reached over to snatch the two boys earphones out.

"Hey!" They said and I put my finger to my lips, and they instantly shut up. I pointed ahead of us and their jaws dropped.

"Macy! You and Conrad took me to the Grand Canyon!" He squealed hopping out of the car to dance around.

I got out and watched as he stared ahead, staring out at the canyon. The giant naturally formed rock. It was so nice outside. And it was really early in the morning at the time.

I looked back and Xavier was stretching on his toes and he began taking pictures.

Cory hugged me and Conrad at the same time. "Thank you so much, how did you know this is where I wanted to go?" He asked, looking up at us both.

We were shoulder to shoulder as Cory squeezed us together. Conrad looked at me in surprise. He was shocked what I did for Cory. He knew I didn't want any stops, and I did this for Cory. Not denying that Conrad helped, though he had no idea. "You talk about it a lot." I laughed, brushing his hair back.

"Thank you! Thank you thank you thank you!" He said and he turned and looked out, standing by an attached boulder.

Xavier was fascinated. "Wow Macy, good call." He said and snapped a picture of me with an old working camera that was once Gerard's. Then he went over and wrapped an arm around me and took a picture of us. "Conrad, get in this with us." My brother nodded to him.

Conrad looked hesitant, but he obeyed and stood at my right, putting his hand at my waist so he could get in the picture all the way.

And his warmth would drive me crazy.

I walked behind Cory and took a picture of him looking out into the slightly fogged Grand Canyon. The boy had his hands in his jacket and his eyes truly focused on every corner, ever crack, every dip in the large open rock.

I took this time to admire it myself. When I was little I never cared much for the Grand Canyon. I hadn't really until I went. I went for Cory, because he wouldn't shut up about it sometimes. He'd go on and on about how it's near the four corners, how it's the most beautiful thing in the United States and how he wanted to go so bad. He mentioned his brother going there. His 'brother' from an old orphanage. He was thirteen and Cory was five. Since then Cory had always wanted to go.

"I didn't really think..." Conrad stood next to me, he wouldn't apologize. I know that. His pride was too large to go on handing me more apologies. But I could tell he wanted to.