18)No One's Decision But Our Own

Rhaenys
"Wait, so, you and Jon?" Sansa frowned, glancing between Bran and myself. "Are siblings?"

The only thing in the last couple of days Jon and I had agreed on was to tell Ser Davos, as our most trusted advisor and Sansa. I volunteered to be the one to tell them. I figured killing two birds with one stone would be the best way to handle this.

Bran was here because according to Sam he was the Three-Eyed Raven, a warg with the power of Greensight who could see the past, present and future. This news hadn't alarmed only me, either, I'd seen Sansa throw her brother a few panicky looks. The idea hadn't completely settled in my mind yet, but he had known about Jon and me due to him peering into the past.

Ser Davos stood opposite Sansa, frowning at the floor in thought. He had said nothing since I'd revealed our truth. Despite Ser Davos' silent behaviour and Sansa's wide-eyed astonishment, it had been Bran's reaction that worried me the most. When Bran had been relaying the vision he'd seen of Lyanna giving birth to Aegon, the son of Rhaegar Targaryen, he'd done it with such monotonous sympathy, I had felt the need to back away from the boy who treated us like strangers. This information was hard on everyone, it didn't need to be met with such indifference by someone who claimed to be rid of Bran Stark, the beautiful boy we had once known.

Sansa was still looking around at us all, wildly throwing her side-to-side. "So, what happens now?"

"Under no circumstances is this fact to reach Daenerys' ears, is that understood?" I said firmly, laying down the one rule Jon and I had.

Ser Davos' head snapped up at that. "Agreed, Daenerys cannot find out, she would order the killing of you both. Having her niece, the true heir to the Iron Throne step down is one thing, but she knows how strong you and Jon are together. If she found out you were both next in line, well..."

Sansa nodded, watching me. "Agreed, but I meant, what are you and Jon going to do? Get an annulment?"

"Well, that's the question now, isn't it?" Davos swept his arms behind his back, looking at me. "What will you two decide?"

"They can't stay together!" Sansa cried in disbelief.

The four of us glanced around the snow-covered courtyard. The place was packed with people busy getting supplies packed and stored, people settled, armour hammered and defences fortified. No one stopped to bow their heads at the four of us, no one noticed us as they went about their duties, too scared by the thought of impending death.

"I don't know about that," Davos shrugged. "The Targaryens have often married their siblings to keep their magical blood pure."

"And look how that turned out," Sansa scoffed. "The Mad King?"

"Enough!" I snapped, glaring at the three of them, despite Bran's indifferent silence, which only fueled my irritation. "It's no one's decision but our own."

With a swish of my skirts, I turned away from them, walking across the way to the entrance to the main courtyard, thankful for the quality of my boots against the wet and cold of snow. Entering the first courtyard upon entrance into the city, I spot Jon the same time he sees me. Straightening up, he starts heading towards me, excusing himself from helping a group of men unload a shipment of dragonglass.

"Rhaenys," Jon greeted, his palm reaching out to cup my bulging belly, rubbing his thumb over the cotton of my dress, "How is our little one?"

"Kicking up a storm. This morning he pressed so hard I had to order the chambermaid to bring me another pale immediately." Which you would know if we still shared a bed, I wanted to add but thought better of it. Jon and I were barely on friendly speaking terms, our relationship would not improve with my needling.