24) Ring the Bells!

Rhaenys
I had been there during the siege of King's Landing over twenty years ago. I had seen the strong defences the city had prepared all fall to pieces when Jaime Lannister had ordered the guard to stand down after stabbing the Mad King in the back. But even those defences were nothing compared to these.

The walls around the city made it an impenetrable fortress via land. The sandstone walls were high and the battlements well maintained. There were no cracks of weakness or crumbling stone.

Today, standing on the outside of those walls was certainly terrifying. Apart from the lines and lines of soldiers in red lining the battlement, and the platoons of golden men standing between us and the gate, the Hand of Queen Cersei, Qyburn has been busy. The same contraption that had ripped through Viserion's scales with ease, were now settled on every battlement along the walls. There were at least fifty of the large-scale crossbows, pointing a barbed spear into the air. Their sole purpose was to annihilate the scaled armour of our dragons. An extinct species was brought back to life only to be killed off once again. Another wonder of the race of men.

A scout had informed us that Arya and Clegane had left early this morning to 'kill Queen Cersei'. He hadn't wanted to be the one to stop them and Jon had just shrugged and said against those two that would have been the best course of action. He'd turned to me, shaking his head, unable to comprehend his sister. Cousin. "I guess she's just a lone soul."

"She's always been," I nodded. 

Arya had always rebelled against the usual teachings and activities of a lady. Nedd had known it and decided to teach her to use weapons instead. It was either that or have herself hurt herself trying to teach them to herself. Arya had been on her own for six years now, without being surrounded by family and a support system. If she preferred solidarity, the only thing left for us to do is know she always has a place with us. 

The Unsullied lined the battlefield, the smaller northern army stationed behind their pit-black lines. The few Dothraki riders left were interspersed amongst the ranks of Dany's army. It was warmer here, much warmer than what the Northmen were used to but still cool. Winter was setting in. 

Tyrion had stepped away from where Jon and I stood together with Ser Davos in front of our forces. Grey Worm had taken up position with his men, leaving us alone. Soft footfalls alerted us of Tyrion's return. His face was solemn as he approached with a raven scroll in hand. 

"What is it?" Jon frowned.

Those green Lannister eyes watched me warily, his body language indicating he was ready to run. "Tyrion?"

"Varys is dead, Daenerys executed him."

Sound faded, my ears filling with a muffling buzz. Varys is dead. Varys, my advisor, the man who had saved my life, who had played across the board to ensure my survival. Daenerys executed him. Why? He was her advisor. He was everything a ruler would want by their side. Smart, wise, objective to everything. I guess that's where the issue arose. Perhaps she had figured out he'd betrayed her. 

And if she had, did she know about Jon? Would we survive this very afternoon?

"Rhaenys?"

Jon's voice floated into my head, sounding far away. Blinking, I looked up at him, analysing the purple specks in his eyes. They formed a ring around his pupil but never before I had noticed the few streaks sticking out of the ring, curling slightly at the end. 

"Rhaenys?" His gentle voice let me breathe.

"Do you still think she's the right queen?" I asked, returning my attention to the city I grew up in.