welcome to the land of bad sidewalks

8 november 2017

the airport was chaos. squeezing in between a couple who looked like they hadn't showered since last tuesday, i made a beeline for the glass doors leading to my bolt for freedom. i was hit by a cool gust of chilly air and i took a deep breath, wanting to remember the moment i finally stepped in new york city. grabbing my hefty luggage, i quickly hailed a taxi and hopped right in, ready to begin the trip of a lifetime.

i grew up in a small country in asia, the furthest i could possibly be from broadway. ever since i was fourteen, i vowed to myself that i would travel to new york and see as many shows as humanely possible. seven years later, i virtually emptied my bank account and hopped on a budget flight eighteen hours long, barely able to contain my excitement. staring out of the grimy windows, i began to catch sight of the city i had only seen behind my screens, towering skyscrapers filling me with pure serotonin.

half an hour later, i was stuck knee-deep in traffic. the shiny new york i had envisioned became one full of smog and incessantly beeping cars causing me a throbbing headache. "hey, can i get off here? i'll just walk." i tossed the cab driver a few banknotes and stepped out of the car. i was finally stepping on solid, very american pavements! beaming, i strode forward, filling my lungs with good ol' george-washington-birthland-oxygen. that is, until the good ol' george-washington-birthland-oxygen smelt like someone took a deep shit and let it rot for several hours. "what the-" i let out a stream of curses as my very new and white sneakers stepped into a wad of grey bubblegum. oh, new york.

after an uneventful stroll through the grimy pavements, armed with a laggy google maps, i made it to the apartment i was renting for a month. i practically leaped into the lobby so as to avoid a rat that definitely did not look like remy from ratatouille and shut the door behind me. after doing some useless paperwork, i trudged up a series of stairs, all the time thinking about how i wanted to politely unalive the person who decided to not build an elevator in the building. i didn't my expect much of my flat, but it was surprisingly clean and airy. sure, i had an unblocked view of a dingy 7-11 (JD would be proud) and some trash bags but it was a view nonetheless. i unlocked my luggage and then proceeded to dump its contents onto my sofa, before collapsing into bed and searching on pinterest for decently nice nyc city views that i could post on instagram for clout.

———————————————————————
hey y'all! i've never written for fun before but here's just what i'm hoping i'll experience when i've saved enough to go to nyc hope this satisfies your broke dreams!