Twenty-five

The Heart Pirates gather around the two of you in no time after Law arrives at his ship, still holding you by his chest.

You feel his whole body shaking slightly, not visible to others. His heartbrat is fast and worried as he watches your blood leaking through the bandages.

When Shiro sees that you're injured, he turns pale and you see his jaw tensing up, that forever so sweet smile fades.

He casts his deep-brown eyes down, and disappears in the submarine. Your guilt burns your throat like poison.

The others are shouting thousands of questions at the sight.

Law is even more silent than usual, his gaze strictly fixed on the floor as he takes you to the medical room and gives you a painkiller before taking a needle to stitch your wound up.

You look away, rather than seeing Bepo's teary eyes.

Law stops for a moment with the sewing when you start talking, with the whole crew present around the bed.

Shiro joined the crowd too, but he keeps his distance and stands in the corner.

And you don't hesitate a second.

You tell them the truth, everything you know about what happened on the island, and what is waiting for you in the future.

You tell them about the cliff, and tell them what your presence might bring to them.

They have the right to know what's coming if you stay.

The only thing you don't tell them is the reason that you recoiled from the edge.

The words flow endlessly until there's no more to say, and silence falls over the room, covering it like a cold, misty cloud.

Law stands up and leaves without a word when he finished tending your injury. Shiro and Penguin follow him, but the others stay around you.

"You're a fucking idiot, [Y/N]," whispers Shachi, covering his eyes.

"I know," you answer and sit up, moving your stiff arm. Law's bandages and medicines work like magic, like last time. "But I had to do this alone."

"You should have told all of us!" shouts Bepo.

"You wouldn't have let me go if I told the truth. I want to protect you as much as you want to protect me."

"Captain's reasonable, [Y/N]'" joins Ikkaku. "He would always listen to you and if needed, let you go alone, but with enough support. What would have happened if you died and never returned? You can't let that happen to him."

"He even listens to Bepo's plans, no matter how terrible they are."

"That's not true, Shachi!!!"

You smile at them a little and run your hand through your hair to move it from your face.

"I'm going to talk with him," you say silently. "And... I'm sorry. I didn't want to scare you all."

"Just don't hurt Captain again,"answers the mink, and leans down to hug you. You hold your tears back from his kindness. "But we're happy you're safe. Don't be so reckless again, okay?"

You hide your face in the soft white fur so they can't see the two droplets running from your eyes before you leave the room to avoid answering their questions. You have to talk with two other men first.

You find Shiro in the kitchen, glaring at a cup of tea with a stiff gaze.

"It wasn't your fault," you say, and step closer. The boy thrills from your voice. And you freeze when he smiles at you a bit sadly.