3) HE IS FALLIBLE

𝐻𝐸 𝐼 𝒮 𝐹 𝒜 𝐿 𝐿 𝐼 𝐵 𝐿 𝐸

It wasn't long ago when Light and his student Ryuij visited the library, but the encounter and the small conversation with his master afterwards just wouldn't leave the boy's mind. Bon currently sat in the classroom of True Cross Academy and gazed out of the window, trying to find answers to his unacknowledged questions.

"It can't be someone is completely unable of seeing demons, can it?" Ryuji asked his superior as they sat down on the cold library floor after they found some books that could prove useful. "I know it seems incredible, but apparently she really is the only known person on this world." Lewin didn't seem to continue by his own will, so Bon decided to pry a little bit. "But I've never read or even heard about something like that. It just...," he sighed, "it shouldn't be possible." The boy furrowed his eyebrows, thinking deeply about this. Until now, he had thought he'd know very much about the exorcist's world, but it seems there are things that have yet to be discovered.

"You're not the only one who thinks this is unbelievable. Like she said, she can't even count the attempts anymore." Lewin licked his finger and flipped one page.

"Just who is she anyways?" Ryuji was completely confused by all this mysterious fuss. Lightning looked up at his apprentice with a small grin on his face. "Seems like you've gotten quite interested. (Name)'s the librarian's daughter and there hasn't been one single day I haven't seen her in here. It's almost like her father doesn't want her to leave these ruins, but that's just my guess." The black-haired male began to hum a tune and flipped through the pages of his book.

"Suguro!" A loud voice snapped the boy out of his thoughts. "Erm, yes!" Startled, he looked up and regained his posture.

"Suguro, I've been calling you at least three times now. This isn't like you," the teacher urged him.

Bon made a small bow, sitting in his seat. "I'm incredibly sorry, sir." And with that, he finally got to answer the teacher's question that used to be directed at him.

Completely unable of seeing demons, huh...?

✧ ✧* . . ✧ *✧ ✧

"Ryuji, I need you to return some books to the library today. I've already given the guards notice of you coming, so it won't be a problem," Lewin's raspy voice halled through the mobile phone's speakers. "Alright."

So after school, Bon went to the library straightaway, a good portion of books clutched under his elbow. The familiar cold of the old building greeted his skin as he stepped out of the elevator, ready to return the books to their original places.

"Hello Ryuji," a familiar voice greeted him as he looked around the halls. "Oh, hello," he greeted (Name) back, spotting her as she leaned against a bookshelf, holding an old looking book in her hands. He wasn't uncomfortable in her presence, but since he didn't quite understand what exactly was going on with this girl, he decided to contain himself.

"I need to return these books, but I haven't seen where most of them had been taken out," Bon explained as he walked closer to the girl, eyeing the big pile of books under his arm. "Oh, it's no problem, I can help you with that," the (hair colour)-haired girl replied docile while putting the former book back in the shelf. Ryuji nodded and the two of them went through the library with (Name) guiding the way and taking a book from the boy's hands now and then.

"How come you know this library so well?" Suguro surely knew already she was the librarian's daughter, but he wanted to start a conversation nontheless. Maybe she would talk more than Lewin. But why is he so interested anyways?

"You know, I am not really out that often," the girl replied sheepishly while rubbing her neck. "I spend most of my time drawing in here. I've got a lot of work to do."

"So you're... also kind of a caretaker here?" Bon put up one eyebrow. "Don't you have to go to school?"

The girl chuckled sadly as she took away the last book that laid in Ryuji's hand, trying to push it in a shelf that was a little too high for her liking. Bon gently took it away from her hand and returned it to it's original spot, being a little bit taller than the girl next to him. "Thanks."

"I've mostly been tought stuff privately, but...," she trailed off with an expression in her face Ryuji couldn't fully read, "my mother has been pushing my father for the last few weeks to get me into normal tutoring. She says it would be better if I met some new people." The girl stared past the boy with a sorrowful expression. "I don't really like people very much."

Bon was clearly at a loss for words now. His gaze went down to her arms which were still covered in bandages, but it wasn't that obvious of course. He tried to say something and opened his mouth for a short time, but closed it after thinking it through again.

"You can see demons, can't you? I mean, you're in the exorcist's class," (Name) tried to switch the subject as she looked up at him, a small smile on her face. "Well, yes, of course you can." She still had that sad expression to her that made Ryuji so confused and empathetic at the same time.

"Yeah, but I couldn't see them before I went to True Cross Academy. I had to sustain mashou in the first class of cram school and I'm able to see them since then," he answered with his deep voice as he gave the girl a sympathetic look. "I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I'm just... really confused. I've never heard of someone that is completely incapable of seeing demons...," he rubbed his neck, trying to not make this uncomfortable in any way.

"You don't have to be afraid I might get angry," the girl laughed as she put up her hands in defense. "I'm used to it by now. Just a little upset from time to time, but I guess that's just how things are for me." Bon nodded at this and took a glimpse of the watch around his wrist.

"Well, I better get going. Lewin and I have a lot to do today."

As Ryuji slowly turned around to leave, he heard the girl call after him.

"Is it fun to experience all this adventure stuff with Lewin?" She had her arms crossed over her chest as she watched the boy eagerly.

Bon mustered up a small smile as he rethought all the previous stuff he endured with his master.

"Yes, it is. See you, (Name)."

And with that, the boy walked off and left a content, yet bittersweet (Name) behind.

The loneliness of the library was about to consume her again.