xxv

-_-_-

(words: 2.145)

-_-_-

It was maybe an hour away from the sun setting, the sky was a a light shade of pink, blue and a bit of orange. It looked lovely, especially when it was framed by the beautiful trees that stood tall.

The weather was still a bit chilly, but winter was almost ending and signs of spring were showing. Like new blossoming flowers and trees that began to grow their leaves again, evergreens not being the only plants in sight. The streets were clear of snow and black ice, finally easier to drive on the road.

Zayn rested his head against the window, his eyes roaming around the scenery in front of him, where birds were flying and clouds slowly moving around the setting sun. His finger traced the outline of the trees, tapping on each blackbird that would cross the way. Lucky he had brought his journal and pen, so he can write down the details of the scenery out the window.

He pulled out his beloved journal (gifted by the one and only, Liam) and began to flick through the pages, looking for a nice and clean one. He had a fair amount of incoherent doodles and short sentences of things he had begun to remember, he even remembers the name of his first puppy! It was quite an accomplishment for Zayn, even he shed some tears of joy, but was completely devastated when he had found out that she had been run over by a car.

With his pencil, he began to draw a simple and easy outline of what he had in mind, shading some of the sloppy scribbled trees. He tried to write down all of the colors he could recognize, even making up some names for shades that he didn't know of. He bit his lip as he glanced at the world outside of him, a small smile creeping onto his face as he was excited for the new project he would be starting soon.

He had begun to think about how he could probably sell it very quickly, since he knew it was going to be a masterpiece. The money he would earn would buy him enough food for maybe lunch and a new brush. The thought was interrupted when Zayn finally realized where he was sitting and glanced at the man next to him— how silly, how did he forget that with Liam, he'll never starve; with Liam, he'll never be cold; with Liam, he'll never feel unloved.

Zayn shut his journal and leaned over to wrap his arms around Liam's neck and kiss his cheek. The older man smiled, sending Zayn a playful cock of the eyebrow. Luckily, they were at a red light, where Liam wiped his sweaty hands on his pants. "What was that for?" He asked, crossing his arms against his chest, watching as Zayn blushed and sat back down.

The other boy fiddled with his fingers, a tiny smile on his lips as he shrugged. "'Was sorta' a short 'thank you'." He said, looking up at Liam, his hazel eyes reflecting against the beautiful sky.

Liam half grinned, pulling his sleeves up closer to his elbows. "Don't thank me, I'm kind of excited for this myself."

"I know but, thank you for… *everything." Zayn said, sincerely. He felt his eyes tear up at the thought of not having Liam in his life; he'd probably be on the streets again, but maybe even dead or beaten up, completely disoriented since he would have lost his memory. How scary it would be, the struggle to survive would be much more challenging. He was grateful, immensely grateful towards Liam.

Once Liam had spotted his tears, he immediately pulled over to the side of the road. He cupped Zayn's face as tears streamed down his pink cheeks, but there was a slight smile on his lips, which confused him.

"What's wrong, baby? Did I say something?" He frowned, concerned by his tears, not realizing that they were of joy. He wiped the tears away with his thumb, but another would roll down and leave a trail of dampness.