Chapter 15

October 10th, 2007: Kansen-en Park – 12:58pm.

Nicholas' face darkened as he pulled his hand out of mine. He closed the space between my mom and him in a second. "We're only as cruel to you as you are to us, Shadowhunter." He hissed, furiously. "Letting her grow up knowing both sides of this war, is better than hiding her away on one side!"

I reached out for his hand, not wanting to let him go.

"Please don't touch me, little one," He said as softly as he could, "I'd hurt you right now."

My hands froze an inch from his and I looked up at him with sad eyes.

He didn't look down at me, but found himself fighting the urge too. He narrowed his eyes at my mother, trying to ignore it. "You will never be able to keep us away from her," He told her, firmly. "Sure, you can hide her away, but one day she'll find out about her powers and she'll want us around just as much as we want her around." His voice rose and hardened as he spoke, "Then what will you do?"

Mom scowled up at him.

"Give me the girl," Nicholas finished, deadly, "When she's eighteen, you can hide her away until then!"

Mom went to argue again, but Dad covered her mouth.

"I'll even stay away from her until then," Nicholas added, annoyed. "Have her call for me and I will come when she does."

Dad opened his mouth to say something, but Nicholas's head snapped down to me as I grabbed his arm, gasping.

He started to yank his arm free, making my hands slid down to his wrist, grabbing him again as hard as I could.

"Calm down," I whined, holding his wrist, firmly. "I don't like you so mad!"

"Ah!" He huffed, collapsing to his knees in front of me.

Mom and dad just stared down at us, confused and surprised that Nicholas Colton would be forced to his knees by a little girl.

Nicholas gawked into my eyes, utterly confused. All of his anger, all the dark lightning moving through his body, everything instantly became calm.

I exhaled and smiled at him. "See that's better," I said, loosening my hands and I took his in mine, interlocking our fingers.

...That hit me twice as hard as when it was just her touch to calm me!!... He thought, still eyeing me. ...Is it because she told me to calm down?...

"Colton-sama," Dad said after looking us over again.

Nicholas ignored him, not looking away from me.

Dad continued, "Make it 25-years-old!"

Nicholas finally turned to him, rather quickly. "What?" He asked, unsure of what he was talking about.

"We will give her to you when she is twenty-five." Dad answered, firmly. He instantly covered mom's mouth; she's protesting again.

Nicholas shook his head, trying to clear it.

"Eighteen is too—" Dad started to argue.

"Give me a minute," Nicholas corrected him. "She has me too calm to continue this conversation with you."

Both my parents looked down at me as horror crossed their faces.

"Is that what she's been doing this whole time?" Dad inquired, surprised. "Is that why you've been furious one second and just sounded like it the next?"

Nicholas exhaled, "Yes."

My parents looked down at me, scared.

"Eighteen!!" Dad announced, decided now. "We will give her to you when she's 18-years-old!! Now, take her memories away!!!"