Chapter 2

The Kitchen of the Institute – 7:56pm.

Dad waited until I was out of the room and then he rotated in the chair, back to mom. "Why are you so mad?" He questioned, serious, "Jace Wayland is a good man."

Mom shook her head, "No, I don't care what he did in the Mortal War." She replied, firmly, "It was the Lightwoods that made the offer, not the Wayland boy."

His face darkened, hearing that, "Not Jace?"

"Right," She nodded, "Plus he is Valentine's son, I don't trust him with a 10 foot pole."

"That's a little much, Isoko," He said, rubbing his chin, "I remember meeting him, he's nothing like Valentine."

She snorted, aloud. "That boy looks just like him, Daichi!" She retaliated, mad, "And you haven't seen him in 4 years. There are rumors going around that he's in love with his sister."

"By the Angel, Isoko!" He howled, taken aback, "Of all the things to say to change my mind that has to be the worst!"

"I'm not lying, Daichi!" She snapped, narrowing her eyes at him, "The Lightwoods wanted to marry him in hope that he'd move on! Our daughter is not marrying him! He'd never love her and—"

"This all just doesn't make sense, Isoko." He cut her off in a low voice, "The Lightwoods have been our friends for years! They're staying at our place in Alicante right now."

"I know," She whispered, "All I'm saying is Kazumi-chan isn't marrying him."

He took in air, readjusting himself on the chair. It was a minute before he said anything back. "They'll be asking about it, of course." He announced then, disappointed.

"And you'll tell them we refused." She ordered in her 'end of discussion' voice, "Say we don't need two child prodigies in the family. Kazumi-chan is enough."

That made him bellow with laughter. "They'd tell us we've been here at the institute to long." He said, still laughing, "That a child from Kazumi-chan and Jace would be a new race of Shadowhunter, the best ever." He regretted saying that immediately, "By the Angel, she's too young for that! What were we thinking?"

Mom giggled, nodding, "Indeed, what were we thinking?"

"Still, Isoko," He added, thinking about it still, "We shouldn't hang him before we see him again. He's at the house with the Lightwoods. Let her meet him, see what happens."

She just stared at him for a very long time.

He leaned across the table and rubbed her upper arms, "Your luck, maybe she'll find him just like every other young Shadowhunter." He told her, sweetly.

She sighed at that, "If the Angel is blessing, she will."

"Shall I call her back?" He asked, smiling; he'd won.

She nodded, "You will be needing to tell her that she's leaving with you tonight."

He groaned with a little bit of a laugh added into it and walked out of the kitchen.

Knock. Knock.

"Come on back, Angel." Dad said through my door.

I jumped up and grabbed my plate. I ran out of the room, Riku next to me, and back into the kitchen.

Dad is already sitting back across from my mom.

"So?" I asked, hopeful.

"Have a seat," Mom answered.

"Ugh," I groaned and fell into the seat next to Dad. I put my plate on the table and looked at them.

"We've decided that this isn't the time for marriage talk," Dad explained, choosing his words carefully, "And we aren't going to let you jump into one, just because you don't want to come with me to Alicante."