Chapter 4

The Akanishi Manor: Outside Alicante – 3:00pm.

Isabelle looked down at the dog, "You can have a dog as a companion?" She asked, unsure, "I thought we mostly had birds as companions."

I shrugged. "What am I going to do with a bird?" I asked, laughing. I bent down and rubbed Riku behind the ears, "He's the best demon fighting partner ever."

"You take him hunting with you?" Jace inquired, kicking off the wall.

I looked over at him and then stood up, my braid falling in front of my right shoulder. "Of course, why wouldn't I?"

Jace licked his lips, "He's a dog." He replied, stopping in front of me, "You can't heal him with runes and demon blood would kill him instantly."

I rolled my eyes, "You really don't know anything, do you!" I told him and then leaned forward. I grabbed Riku's neck, pulling his hair back and revealed a silver link-chain necklace with a dragon pendant on it. "This necklace protects him." I continued, looking up at him. "It was Ryuu Ōno's."

They all looked at the necklace with wide eyes.

I glanced over them, "Hmm," I mumbled as I straightened up again, "Maybe the Clave kept that one a secret."

Jace narrowed his eyes at me.

I giggled, "I'm not apologizing."

That pissed him off and he closed the space between us. I didn't move back, I just looked up at him, smiling.

"You look mad, Jace," I said, giggling, "Did I hurt your feelings?"

He snorted and went to say something.

"You're a big boy, you'll get over it," I but him off as I walked away from him. I started up the stairs with Riku next to me.

Alec laughed a little bit.

Jace followed me up the stairs. He grabbed my arm and yanked me around.

I had Ryuu in my left hand in a second and hit his chest with my fist around her. He gasped as the breath was knocked out of him and went back down the stairs. My hit threw him off balance, he didn't go back to the foyer on his own.

"Do that again and I won't hold back." I snapped, following him down the stairs.

Isabelle watched Jace rub his chest and then she turned to me, "You call that holding back?" She snapped, mad, "I've never seen someone knock the breath of him!"

My eyebrow rose, "And you say you're better than me?" I questioned, smiling, stopping on the last step. "Did that hurt, Jace?"

He narrowed his eyes and stood up straight, "You surprised me, I didn't think you'd attack me."

I held out my left hand with Ryuu in it, the end facing him, "You grabbed me, I don't know you and I don't like being yanked on!" I demanded, firmly. "You're twice my size and weight, use your head!"

His eyebrow rose and he looked me over. He started laughing and he licked his lips. He was in front of me in the same second.

Ryuu extended and I took a step back, spinning her at him.

"DON'T!" Alec called, running for us.

Jace grabbed Ryuu with his right hand, stopping her and then he sent his left hand toward my neck.

I gave him a crooked smile as I let go of the staff.

He took a step back, down one stair, holding Ryuu in his hand. He looked down at it and then hissed, quickly moving backwards. He opened his hand and let the staff drop to the floor. He lifted his palm up and looked at it; it's bleeding. "What the hell?" He growled, furious, looking up at me.