CHAPTER 4 pt.1- Spring is when the Heart is Most Beautiful

Jaeryeong's stomach growled loudly as they passed a tteokbokki stand on its closing hours. Jooah heard that. The stall owner heard that. Jaeryeong clutched his stomach in embarrassment.

With her old age, the stall owner smiled slowly as a potential customer was coming, "Jooah dear, the friend you brought today must be hungry. Sweetie, why don't you buy some tteokbokki as late night snacks?"
"No, it's okay-"

Jooah nudged Jaeryeong, and when he didn't bug she tugged his arm and pulled him to turn back, talking softly under her breath, "What's wrong? Just go and buy it. You won't die from street food."

"Nobody said I was dying! Sh-should we get one?"

"Why are you asking me?"

Jaeryeong breathed out shortly, "I have no money."

Jooah looked at him in disbelief, replying almost toneless, "Gosh. Are you serious? Why is it that every time I see you, you're always penniless?"

"Hey! How am I supposed to find time to grab my wallet when I ran away at the spur of the moment?"

"That's why. If you're going to run away, you should be prepared."

"That's exactly why I said we don't need to buy it, didn't I?!"

"Oh how embarrassing."

"Geez I can't believe you're already picking a fight over tteokbokki. I don't even know who that is but I already pity your boyfriend."

"I think I should be the one to say that to you."

"Hey, I don't have a girlfriend!"

"And I don't have a boyfriend either!"

"Oh really? Good for you then, you must be sooo proud of that!"

"Hey!"

"Kids?'' They both faced back again to see that the grandma had been listening to their entire conversation the whole time.

Jooah smiled slightly, apologizing as she took out 3000 won from her wallet, handing it to the grandma, "One serving of tteokbokki please. Thank you."

She looked at Jaeryeong grumpily, "Let's just say that's my treat. I should at least do this as my thank you gesture for Chunyoung's signature."

"Yes, thank you...," He smiled slightly, but to Jooah, she was simply met with his pair of scrunched eyes, "He's such a weirdo, acting all familiar and accepting food from strangers so easily."

Jaeryeong widened his eyes, confused at her silent expression.

Jooah answered to that, "No, nothing. Well then, enjoy." She bowed, turning to walk away before Jaeryeong tugged her arm so suddenly she instinctively shoved his hand away and glared.

Jooah felt bad, "Ah, sorry. Why?"

"Oh. Do you want some?," He said cheerily.

She glanced at the fishcakes and scoffed, "How nice of you to offer me with my own money. Just worry about yourself. I'm going now. My house is just close up there so you don't have to do anything anymore, I can go on my own."

She moved her eyes around him, "I guess this is the last time we'll be seeing each other."

"... Sorry about what I said earlier. I'm grateful that you walked me up till here... well then," Without another word, she left, hands in her pockets.

The old stall owner poured red gochujang chili paste into the paper bowl containing sticky rice cakes, "That sweetheart would never miss buying fishcakes from my stall whenever she sees me selling. She's nice, even if she doesn't talk much."