CHAPTER 2- Thornless Rosebuds

Jooah pushed the door open, murmuring under her breath, "Gosh Park Jae Ryeong, what a hassle."

The bell rang and she stood to face him and her dad who were both looking at her curiously. She showcased a flat expression, though thoughts ran through her head, "Why is he cluelessly looking at me."

He faced back to the cashier thinking it was also strange on his part.

Through the song, Chunyoung's chorus has just ended, and when Jaeryeong's low voice began rapping, she coincidentally paused the music, removing her earphones. She put on her own mask and walked towards the line to which her dad was still eyeing her. She placed a finger on her lips indicating to keep herself a secret.

"Sir?" Jaeryeong was trying to get the cashier's attention. Jooah then placed her fingers down in front of her pocket level and did more hand signs.

Pointing her thumb to her direction, "I'm", she shook her hand down in a quick vigorous manner, "going to do something bad."

Jaeryeong tried to look back to see what the cashier was squirming his eyebrows in confusion about, but Jooah immediately looked away to the wall until he looked back and continued her weird hand gestures.

She pointed to him from under in a not-so-obvious way, "This guy". She made an upwards "O" with her thumb and pointing finger, sticking the rest of her three fingers together, "give it to him free".

She moved closer, right in front of the tray of cold ice tea that was made for the next customer, right next to Jaeryeong who was a head taller than her since she's also tall. Jaeryeong tried to talk, "Anyways-"

Before he could finish and before her dad had any time to process, Jooah abruptly and very obviously suspiciously grabbed two of the ice tea and acted like she was going to make a run for it.

In the spur of the moment, Jaeryeong who was also very much surprised instinctively shouted and grabbed jooah's hoodie as she purposely slowed down her fleeing speed, slightly leaning back. Letting out a phew, Jooah pretended to resist, "let me go!"

Her dad expanded his eyes witnessing the sudden escalation of events. Jaeryeong pulled her hoodie back so she stood between him and the cashier, "I'm really facing all kinds of things today, meeting two thieves already?!"

Jooah sulked, her dad had his mouth wide open, looking at them back and forth.

"If you want it, you should pay for it. I also have no money and I was going to cancel my order. Why would you even think of petty stealing while you're still in school?"

She spoke from the gut, "Shut up and let me go."

"Are you in middle school?," He read the nametag on her uniform "Seupyo High School. Baek Joo Ah."

Jooah shoved his hand away from her hood and covered her name tag.

"Wow you're even in h-"

"HEY!," her dad shouted from a defensive instinct, and everyone in the cafe turned their attention to the cashier who seemed more mad at the hero than the thief. Moment of silence.

Jooah rolled her eyes away, and her dad cleared his throat, "Everyone. Let's not make a big fuss." He walked towards the crime scene and looked at his own daughter, "Hey you lil punk!" Both kids flinched at his loud voice.

"Y-You understand your mistake now don't you! Your poor parents! Did not just raise you so well for you to be a thief!"

"Huh, where is this going?"