Chapter 1: An Opera Ghost

A.N. The picture is what Raeann looks like, except her eyes are different. I'll post a picture of her eyes in a different chapter.

Raeann's POV

Two Years Later

"This one," Evan confidently raises his hand and studies the clover. "This one definitely has four leaves." I roll my eyes and scoot closer to my cousin.

"Yeah, right," I counter. I pry his hand off the clover and watch as an extra leaf flutters to the ground. "You took a leaf off a different one and held it on to this one with your hand. Loser."

"It was worth a shot," he shrugs. "Look at the sunset." He pounts to the setting sun, which is a perfect shade of pink. "What color tonight?" 

I laugh at Evan's question. Every night that the weather allows us, we sit on this hill and catch up with each other. We always describe the sunset together. It's become somewhat of a tradition.

"The shade of pink that's peaking out from the clouds," I begin. "Is the exact color of the sherbert that we buy at Carlo's." I gesture towards the shop in front of us.

Sitting on the hill behind the corner store, I can see my little world. A few streets of Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Donovan tending to her petunias, which she always says are to die soon because of the frost. Follow the road we're on, and you'll make it to Nina's, the resturant where I work. Then the woods.

Acres upon acres of green. They draw me in, dare me to leave my depressed mother and flawed life behind. But I have Bee and Evan, and they're all I need.

Many times, I've considered running. I've even packed. My suitcase ends up discarded in the corner along with Father's violin case, which is even more dusty than before.

"And the clouds in front are the color of cotton candy Dum-Dum lolipops," Evan jokes and I hit his arm lightly with my fist.

"Can we just stop with sunsets?" I smile. "Just tell me about what you and Josh did today or how you found a pebble in your left shoe." 

"Not until you tell me about Nina's!" Evan teases, but his voice shows that he's honestly interested in what I have to say. "Did Ms. Gerturde order another pie?" We briefly chuckle about my best customer, Ms. Gertrude, who seems to be at the diner every day at two o'clock to pick up a peach pie.

"Of course," I answer. "But what were you and Josh getting in to? You guys disappeared for half the day! Aunt Summer was worried sick!" 

"The usual," Evan's tone hints that he's hiding something. "Extreme soccer tournament, clover hunts, paper airplane contests." I narrow my eyes at the sixteen-year-old. 

"You didn't even come home for lunch!" I exclaim. "You never miss lunch!" Ever time Evan comes to my house, he ends up eating the entire fridge. Something is definitely going on.

"You'll understand in time," he says mysteriously. I take this as another opportunity to punch him. This time, he punches back.

"You can't hit a girl," I stick my tongue out and lay back on the grass. Evan lays beside me.

"I just did," I turn my head to see him smirk. This boy can be so frustrating. I check my wrist-watch and realize that it's six already. Mother most likely has no clue that I'm missing.

Ever since Father died, Mother has been in a state of depression. She hardly eats or sleeps and never gets cleaning done. We hardly converse, and I feel as though I live alone. Bee and I are forced to run the house, plus make dinner every night and go grocery shopping.