Chapter 3: Sorry

(Sophia's POV)

By the time the doctor let me go, it was getting dark. I had woken from my slumber about an hour after it happened; feeling like a truck had hit me. My head pounded so hard I was forced to stay on my side to not purge my insides. The school nurse gave me some gravol and lemon Gatorade. After taking my blood pressure, flashing a light in my eyes and peeing in a cup I got a small bottle of pills to take for the headache and a chocolate bar. The wind felt colder to me, the summer nights in Sludge Falls being warmer than this.

Sludge Falls. The place where Sulley and I were born. A small town with decent people. Houses as far as the eye could see and everything you needed within walking distance. Maybe that's why it felt colder, in Sludge Falls, the wind was blocked off from the houses. Here in the open space, the air was free to dance around as it pleased. I wrapped my arms around my body, it was a little before supper but the thought of food made my stomach turn. So I walked to the dorms, thanking whoever that it wasn't far. I cut through a side path, finding my way up the dorm steps in no time. My mind travelled back to the doctor's office.

"So you haven't got your key huh?" she chuckles looking at the clock "If you hurry you should be able to catch her before she leaves, if not, come back here."

I step down off the table and readjust my shirt.

"Thanks, for everything."

She nods once

"Oh Sophia?"  I pause at the doorframe "When you get your key, watch your fingers."

"What?" 

She chuckles.

"You'll see."

I shake my head as I walked into the building, holding the papers from the tour and walk to the front counter. I was given my key, one of the few left. Just five lonely little keys hanging on rings. The receptionist was a slug-like creature, a permanent frown on her face and like her body, her words dragged like she was bored out of her mind.

"The elevator is to your right." She points to the right "Your free to use it but it's faster to use the stairs as everyone tries and you stop at each floor." I nod, she slowly grabs the key "a private rooms huh?" she looks at the key, the bored look still plastered on her features "It's on the fifth floor, take the elevator and walk down the hall; your room should be the fourth door at the end. Your stuff should already be in your room. If you missing stuff or have things damaged take a form from the wall and send it to the university hall for compensation."

"Thank you," I state as she gives me the key

"Don't lose your key!" she yells at me before the metal door comes slamming down, cutting her off from my sights.

"Woah!" I gasp, tugging my fingers back in record speed.

Finally understanding what the doctor was talking about I chuckle, wondering how many people she's treated for this wound.

I glance at the cold key in my hands before tossing it into the air.

For "New beginnings" I felt like I was doing it all wrong.

..
..

"A private room huh?" her words echoed in my head.

I wondered what that meant?

I walked down the hall, noticing that there were only two doors on the walls where there should be three or four. The lower level doors were placed very close together, almost too close for comfort.
Yet this floor was quiet.
The only noise was a radio playing quietly in one of the doors. A few posters and reminders of classes and student activities were placed neatly on the bulletin board, not slammed on sideways, backward or upside down, and stapled over older papers like the others littering the hallways. And while the other floor was a bit cramped, each student falling over each other this floor seemed cold.