Chapter 9: Christopher

(Sophia's POV)

The building was larger than it looked on the outside, the four walls were tall, made to incorporate larger monsters and I couldn't help but chuckle as the large doors were actually five doors in one. Five different sizes that opened for different monsters and clicked back together after with a loud click and a bang, making my mouth turn slightly at the thought of a tentacle or finger getting caught in it. The inside was also impressive, chairs on different levels and sizes with a larger staircase running up the middle to the second floor. This building was clearly thought out to fit all monsters as even on the outside a large tube was built to send orders out to monsters that couldn't come inside the building. Images printed right into the paints looked back at me, the grey looked aged and delicate but in reality they'd only been added a little while ago, the scarers of each house were on different corners of the building yet even now that didn't stop monsters from sitting in different places, new monsters sitting with hopeful thoughts, others glanced at the males, small blushes on their features before they were hidden by their giggles and their hands.

I walk in, rubbing my feet off the mat by the door and wander in, noting the pressure and temperature changes from outside. This place was warmer then colder, then warmer again, the inside temperatures changed by the foods being made. My eyes turned to the left, watching a meat grinder slow to a stop, the loud whirring quieted down as I gently place my purse on the counter, looking up at the larger monster in slight fear. His apron was well used, stained with greases, sauces from burgers and some gold liquid I'd rather not think about and instead focus on the large sign in front of me.

The sign, like the rest of the place was split into three levels and I look up, not able to read the top of it before noticing a red button. Push me, looked back at me and after I did the sign moves, its motors whirring to life and watch as the sign descended towards me, the large print becoming easier to read. I find the sign and the chef at the front of the desk when I look up, jumping slightly at his intimidating face and smile back when I'm flashed a surprisingly soft grin.

"Well hello there, welcome to the growl." a kind voice says

"Hi." I answer back quietly

"You must be a freshman right, I don't remember seeing your face before."

I blush

"Yes, this is my first year."

"Well, my names Carl." he says extending his hand "And like I do with all my new customers all your meals will be half off for the first month."

I shake his larger hand and turn my hand, seeing a gold card in my palm, I chuckle.

"Sophia, Sophia Jones." I send him a smile and look back up at the sign, my eyes scanning over all the names.

I receive another chuckle.

"Here I'll make this easier. What do you like to eat, or better yet is this just for you or are you sharing?"

"I was hoping to share but I'm not sure what they'd like to be honest." I sigh, looking at my phone in contemplation. Should I call them?

"Well, what did you guys get for lunch, do you remember?"

In the end I got three dishes mixed into one. A beautiful dish that Carl made, captivating me the entire time. The way he cooked was amazing, the fire seemed to dance in the air and the smell was mouth-watering. Even a well versed cook like myself I could feel my knees buckling as he slid the container my way.

"Oooh, that's wonderful." I sigh, smelling the mouth-watering creation again "How much?"

"Thirty five dollars." he says, ringing it up. I open my wallet, pulling out the cash when his hand stops me, his finger on a picture I usually kept hidden "You know Jeffery Tentacles?"