Chapter 5.1: Challenges

(Unknown POV)

The day's events weighed heavily on my mind, or rather the over pressing guilt my heart was plagued with. I thought I was doing the right thing, well that's a lie, how could I be doing the right thing. I was doing the wrong things for the right reasons but still... did that make it better? Or was I just making up excuses to ease my troubled heart?

I had been going in circles since the day I got the letter. He was gone, taken in the middle of the night and it was my fault. If I had stayed home, my brother would be safe and I could spend my last year as a simple university student... but I didn't.

The quad was bubbling with excitement, eager monsters running here and there as everyone struggled to get ready for the party of the century that would make The Great Gatsby himself green with jealousy. Despite my lack of enthusiasm, everyone was too caught up in their happiness to notice my misery, a point only proven as one of the students ran up to me, a freshman. Her neon clothing and face paints were clear evidence of that and her personality, a bubble of joy as the alcohol and drugs took effect.

Flashback        (eight hours earlier.)

I'd forgotten it. For a brief second and let myself slip into happiness but like always I was reminded of the harsh reality. This reality bit me in the ass of the form of a phone call. The buzzing in my back pocket as I set down the last few boxes of supplies for freshman welcome week. I pull my phone from my pants and look at the I.D.

Grandpa Frank.

I swallowed back nausea, sending the others to grab the last box from the car and lock up. I toss my keys on the table and turn, not even staying to see where they land before I'm out. Wiping my sweating palms on my skirt I answer the phone.

"Hello, Grandpa Frank. Did you remember to take your medication?"

I say the code words without emotion. I was feeling so much at once I had to shut it all off just to talk. Focusing on what he was saying and what I was tasked with. The line pauses for a moment, making sure I said the right words.

"What is your status?" a male voice asks, I pause, looking around once, pulling my hair up over my ear to make sure my friends weren't around.

"I'm clear," I state and grab onto the railing, bracing myself for whatever happened next.

It helped, just the slightest.

"Go to your locker. Inside you'll find a package with instructions. I want visual and physical confirmation of the target. Failure to do so will result in the death of your brother."

..
..

Just like he said the bottles were there, wrapped up in a small white box and protected by soft padding. 

Slipping that liquid in her drink was easy. The freshman was so absorbed in the tour it would only be easier if she were blindfolded. Within the hour, just like the paper said, it worked. Bringing on fever and other problems within minutes, once inside the nurse's office it was laughably easy. I was able to swipe a sample of her blood in seconds, slipping the vial into my purse and grabbing the second vial.

The antidote. 

Within a few hours, the onslaught of symptoms seemed to lessen, her blood pressure levelling out. 

I smile softly when her eyes open "Hey, it's okay." I touch her head softly "you're going to be okay..."

I slipped out of the house, following my friends down the road to frat row as I tried and failed to get this day out of my head.
I only hoped a strong drink would help.