Chapter 76 - A new beginning

The early morning sun had been replaced with thick grey clouds. A cold breeze lingered in the air and the raindrops that threatened to fall did absolutely nothing to aid the sick, pregnant woman mourning her late husband.

Nobody spoke. Even the Saviors stood quietly, waiting for their leader to return. Simon had dragged Louise back in line, pushing her to her knees besides Maggie. In any normal situation, she would have stood her ground but after watching her friends killed, she didn't dare play her mouth. She tried to comfort Maggie, attempting to hold her hand or whisper in her direction but each time she made the slightest movement, Simon cleared his throat as a warning.

As the RV pulled back up, the group stayed eerily still. Carl shuffled forwards, silently begging for his dad to exit the vehicle alive. Seconds felt like hours until the sheriff's bloodied body was pushed from the door. Rick landed on the ground with a thud and Negan pulled him across the gravel by the collar of his jacket - manipulating every step.

"Here we are!" he said loudly, dropping Rick where Lou had previously resided. "Let me ask you somethin' Rick - do you even know what that little trip was about?"

Rick stared at the floor. Not a singe word escaped his lips.

"SPEAK WHEN YOU'RE SPOKEN TOO!" Negan shouted, dropping to Rick's level.

"Okay...okay"

"That trip was about the way you look at me. I wanted to change that. I wanted you to understand" he stood up. "But you're still looking at me the same damn way...like I shit in your scrambled eggs and that's not gonna work! So...do I give you another chance?"

"Yeah" Rick nodded, stuttering on his words. "Yes. Yes"

"Okay...and here it is...the grand prize game. What you do next will decide whether your crap day becomes everyones last crap day or just another crappy day" he smirked and nodded at Simon. "Get some guns to the back of their heads"

Lou didn't need to look over her shoulder to know the barrel of Simon's rifle was directed at her. She could feel his breath on her neck.

"Good. Now...level with their noses so if you have to fire...it'll be a real mess"

He laughed and turned to Carl, beckoning him with his forefinger. "Kid...right here" He pointed at the ground in front of him but Carl didn't move. "Kid. Now"

With a roll of his eyes, Carl stood up and walked towards him. Negan smirked and unbuckled his belt.

"Are you a southpaw?" he asked, pulling the leather strap from his waistband.

Carl furrowed his eyebrows. "Am I a what?"

"Are you a lefty?"

"No"

"Good" he said, wrapping the belt around Carl's bicep. "That hurt?"

He pursed his lips. "No"

"Should. It's supposed too" he raised an eyebrow. "Alright, get down on the ground kid, next to Daddy" he lifted the Sheriff's hat of the teenager's head and tossed it to the floor. "Spread them wings! Simon you got a pen?" he asked, moving Carl's arms out and away from his torso.

"Yeah" Simon nodded, throwing him a sharpie.

Negan removed the cap and crouched next to Carl. "Sorry, kid, this is gonna be as cold as a warlock's ballsack, just like he was hanging his ballsack above you and dragging it right across the forearm" he laughed, drawing a line across his skin. "There you go. Gives you leverage"