Chapter Fifty Four

Lily's POV

Aaron and Ann's parents knew I was staying here, but meeting them when they got home was still awkward.

I still don't understand the dynamic part if I'm being honest. They have been gone the entire time I've been here, and now they're talking about how they are leaving in two weeks. I almost feel bad, but then I remember Ann likes it better when they're gone.

Speaking of Ann, she uber flipped when I told her the news. And she might have cried, but that's beside the point. She was extremely excited for me, and even called Sebastian, who also congratulated me.

But the worrisome feeling is still there. I'm still worried, and a bit overwhelmed. I can't believe all this is happening. If you told me this six months ago I wouldn't have believed you, any of it.

I thought having Rea was great, and now I'm going to move in with her, in a great college, in a place I've become fond of. Plus Ann visits there all the time for Sebastian, so she could always make a detour.

I've accepted I overthink, a lot. Like a lot, I know and I'm working on it, but I can only make so much progress. I'm still wrapping my head around the fact I graduate in less than a month– like what?

This feels like the best kind of movie ending, like the icing on top. I just hope it doesn't crash and burn.

See, there I am again.

I am 99% sure it won't crash and burn.

That's the best we're gonna get, okay?

"Hey Lily, have you got a dress for graduation yet?"

I look up to see Ann leaving in the room. I think about it and shake my head no, leaving Ann to have this almost offended look on her face as she walks and sits next to me.

"We don't have much time, we have to shop."

"And I have to pass these finals."

She rolls her eyes, poking me in the side. "It's one afternoon of shopping."

"Ann..." I groan, wanting to push her away.

"I'm not leaving till you agree."

"Can I at least finish this first?"

Her eyes light up and she smiles, "yep. I'll get ready."

I shake my head and she leaves the room a little too happy, but now I'm rushing to finish this.

By the time we make it to the mall, all I'm thinking about is how I forgot to study for my English final. I want to say it doesn't matter and I can do it later, but my subconscious doesn't want me to do that.

"Can we make it fast?" I whisper at her, but she waves her hand like she's having none of it. "Ann, come on."

"Lily shut up for a second and look at this."

I huff and look at the dress she's holding, it's this long dark blue dress with a slit at the leg. It's pretty, but I don't think that's what I want.

"I don't think I'm feeling long dresses for graduation."

She huffs dramatically, "Okayyy fine. Do you at least like the color?"

I shake my head no, making her roll her eyes. "Fine. We will keep looking."

Ann shows me probably a hundred dresses that she likes, and by that I mean ones she would wear and is just dreaming of stealing from me after graduation.

"I said no long dresses."

"But it's graduation," she wines, still not letting go of the light purple long silk dress she's been trying to convince me to get for twenty minutes. "And I don't feel like tripping over silk and falling on my face in front of my entire class.

She huffs, "How about this one?"

"Nope," I say, rolling my eyes and walking to a different rack, one that had more options I'd wear. The colors ranged between dark blues and pale pinks. I try to aim for a more subtle color, or even things like black or dark gray. But my attention is caught by this thigh-length dark emerald green silk dress. The fabric is soft and if I'm being honest, I can't take my eyes off it. I'm staring at it and analyzing it long enough for Ann to realize because she comes up behind me and basically whistles.

"That's pretty."

"I know," I acknowledge. I take the hanger off the rack and walk towards the counter. "Can I try this on?"

The worker is an older lady, her hair is a dark red that she matches with bright red lipstick. When she smiles I can see it's on her front tooth, but I don't mention it.

"Go for it, the dressing rooms are right there."

I leave Ann to wait for me while I try it on, and as soon as I do, I know this is the perfect one. I didn't originally think I would settle for a green dress, but here I am, and I love it.

I open the door and Ann smiles at me, clapping her hands. "Beautiful."

She turns me in a circle and clicks her tongue. I feel like one of her dress forms.

"It fits your torso perfectly, and the flowy bottom makes your figure ten times better. You need to get this one."

I put my hands on my hips, looking down at it. "Oh, I will."

"It would've been cuter if it was long," she smirks. I rolled my eyes and hit her arm. "Literally shut up."

I pay for the dress and we leave, but not without Ann getting curious in about 16 different stores. I have to actually drag her out by her arm to even leave the mall.

I'm really happy about my dress, I'd be happier if Rea was here to see it but you can't pick and choose.

Ann, Aaron, and I end the night by ordering pizza and watching a movie. Ann and I fall asleep on the couch. I think Ann is a lot sadder that I'm leaving than she leads on because when I wake up in the middle of the night, she's snuggled next to me.

Ann is like the sister I never had, and no matter how many miles I am away from her, I won't ever let her go.

***

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!

Remember to drink water and eat something :)

*head pat*