And then He was Gone

I stand up to walk away, just as the bushes rattle. At first I think it's just Mark and Roy, and I don't react, but then I realize Logan jumped up and drew his sword.

Luckily, I had left mine at home. Note how sarcastic luckily was.

Then Nathan stepped into the clearing, and to my surprise, Logan pushed me behind him.

He was protecting me.

Nathan was wielding a sword; it was already drawn, actually. Then, a second man steps out behind him. He looks about... Eighteen. He's a lot taller than anyone else here, even Logan. He has white-blonde hair, reminds me of Malfoy, actually. Except his eyes are blue, dark blue. Not like Mark's, but dark blue.

So basically, he's pretty handsome.

But I wouldn't ever trade him for Logan, who I am currently cowering behind.

"Ah, Logan. And the... Girl. Prince Polar, you can take care of the girl," Nathan looks at me, then at the man behind him. Prince Polar. This must be his son.

I'm not sure how I feel about him yet.

But it's leaning towards dislike, as a cruel smile comes across his face and his eyes meet mine. They're cold. Inhumane.

"Wait," Logan says, and I look up at the back of his head. He has locked eyes with Nathan. "If you're going to kill me, let her go. And give me a minute to persuade her to leave," he says steadily, I can't comprehend having such control over emotion as he does.

Nathan ponders it for a moment, then glancing back at Polar. Polar slowly puts his sword away, and Nathan nods.

And Logan turns around to face me.

"Listen, Olivia, run. Just run, alright? And tell Mark and Roy what happened," he says, making eye contact.

Sincerely.

I can't even describe the feeling and the thoughts of that moment. They were beyond compare. This was Logan with his guard down.

He is human.

"Run. Just go. You don't need to die," he manages a forced smile.

I don't know what's come over me. I don't know what I'm thinking. But I have an answer.

"No. I won't leave."

"Olivia," he sighs, brushing his hair out of his face. "Ok, listen to me. I'll give you a present, if you'll leave. I'll give it to you right now. But you have to leave," he glances back over his shoulder. Nathan is getting impatient.

"But I-" I shake my head. I don't want to be bribed. But he really wants me to leave. So I slowly nod my head.

I see him release a breath of relief. "Stand up," he says, glancing over his shoulder again.

Slowly, I do as he asked.

"Goodbye, Olivia," he says softly with a small smile.

And then he kissed me.

I froze. I don't know what to do.

I can't feel anything. It's... Perfect. He's perfect. He's everything I've ever wanted. And it seems like he could be mine in this moment.

And just as I begin to wake up, to respond, to kiss him back, he shoves me away.

And I fall into the bushes.

My head hits a rock, I can tell that's bad, and I black out to the sounds of clashing swords.

He's gone. Logan is gone.