Co-Workers

How convenient! This chapter appeared yesterday with half if it missing, so I GOT TO UPDATE TODAY!!! Yayyyy!!!! I might, might update this Friday. I'll try at least. So read, and vote and comment if you like!!!!

And that's where I am now. Asleep I'm this prison-like office, wondering where my life is going.

I wake up, unable to tell what time it is because of the lack of windows in this underground chamber. I sigh, remembering everything that happened... well however long ago that was. I get up and step into my dad's office and find him sitting at his desk, working on paperwork. I don't say anything as I walk past him, put my phone on his desk, and walk out the door.

I need to get away from that office. I want to be free and talk to normal people who aren't concerned about being attacked by assassins and who aren't afraid that the government will burst in and destroy us. But I know that there are no such people here. They all know about assassins and government; it's their job to know.

And I guess now it's mine too.

I walk along the balcony, not aware of where I'm going. I go down a few sets of stairs absentmindedly before someone stops me. "Do you work down here?" A voice asked me. I looked up, started, and find a boy. He looks to be about 17, and he has blonde hair and blue eyes. I'm sure on a normal day I'd get all flirty, but I'm really not in the mood right now. "No, sorry, I'm new. I was just looking around," I say, trying to appear innocent. He nods. "Hey, Dad!" he turns around and shouts. A man with blonde hair and green eyes looks over. "Can I show this girl around? She's new," he continues shouting. I blush; now everyone is looking over here. The man nods, and the guy smiles down at me. "I'm Ashton," he said, still smiling. "Most people call me Asher. I'm a tech guy around here. I keep the computers running and updated and virus free," he tells me. He's being really nice. "I'm Olivia," I say quietly. Asher looks surprised. "Like, Mr. Lyons' daughter?" he asks, raising his eyebrows. "Yeah. That's me," I say, shuffling my feet. He smiles again. "Well, welcome to The Resistance," he said warmly.

"I guess you don't know your way around?" he asked, as I followed him up the stairs from the base level. I shake my head, but he can't hear that, so I say, "No." He continues on, weaving through the crowd, grabbing my wrist and pulling me along when he needs to. He's obviously worked here awhile. "Yeah, I figured. Mr. Lyons' office is three floors from the Hub, which is the base floor, and three floors from the Point, which is the top floor, and the only source of natural light is where the Point barely pokes out of the ground," he says. I look up and, sure enough, there is the smallest amount of natural light seeping through. The sun appears to be high, making it seem to be about noon. After a moment, I sheepishly ask, "Hey, Ashton,"
"Call me Asher."
"Ok, Asher, what time is it... exactly?"
He starts laughing. "Time for you to get a watch!" he smiles. Then he glances at his wrist. "It's 2:30 p.m.," he said, and continues walking. "Where are we going?" I ask, bolder now at his friendly attitude. "Well, to lunch. I thought you might be hungry," as he says this, my stomach grumbles, as if on cue. He smiles, and leads me on.

We finally reach some double doors on the fifth floor, and he leads me inside and shows me through the cafeteria line. I pick up a salad; I don't want to eat too much. Asher invites me to sit with him, and I accept; who else would I sit with anyway? He leads me over to a table where two other guys are sitting. "Hey guys, this is Olivia," he says, sitting at the table. I sit down on the chair next to him as the two guys greet Asher. "Olivia, this is Link," he tells me, gesturing to the younger looking boy who has dark blue eyes and dirty blonde hair. "And this is Michael, my brother," he continues, gesturing to the other boy who looks about the same age as Asher. He has green eyes and blonde hair, just like their dad. I smile and nod, trying not to seem uncomfortable about the fact that I'm the only girl sitting here. "So you're Mr. Lyon's daughter?" Link asked. In nod. "Yeah they've been planning to bring you here for about a month," Michael says. "I think they cleared out the office next to Mr. Lyon's, if you want an office," Asher adds. I just nod along and eat my salad.

It's really nice of them to try and make me feel welcome, only I miss the normal days when I'd sit on the bed with Alaina and we'd tell each other all about our day at school and how out crushes act. I miss babysitting the neighbors kids and walking the bug man's dogs. I even miss it when my mom would come upstairs and tuck me in like a little child.

A moment later, Asher and Michael's dad comes and sits down with us, and his name turns out to be GreenLeaf. Apparently his parents were convinced that they were part elf, so they gave him an elf name. I continue to nod, and then, when I finish my salad, I go throw my tray away and head back up to my dad's office for, well...

Whatever comes next, I guess.