Reality Check

Well.

This is awkward.

I'm still bright red, I'm sure, and I'm refusing to meet Mark's steady gaze.

To be completely, totally honest, he terrifies me.

What's not to be afraid of?

Well... Okay... He's not too scary...

But I'm have even more fuel to my fear after...

"Are you... Cold all the time?" I ask almost weakly. I feel like I got hit in the head with a rock again.

"Even when it's hot," he nods.

I never noticed he always wore a jacket or a hoodie until now. But I guess that makes sense.

He pulls up his jacket sleeve, picks up my wrist, and places my hand on his lower arm.

Now, a few minutes ago, this would've sent butterflies flying around in my stomach, but now, it sends chills down my back.

His skin is ice cold, and I pull my hand back.

He puts his shirt sleeve down. "See? You're better off where you are," he doesn't look hurt or wounded, just the same as ever. That steadiness is what makes him attractive, I guess. "Plus I would never to that to Logan. Dead or alive," he looks to me, clearly waiting for a reaction. But one doesn't come; I'm too numb from everything to be able to feel anything at all right now.

"But that's not what I wanted to tell you, so let's get on with this," he changes the topic, and I realize that it probably wasn't exactly easy to tell me that. Or to do anything for me, to take the fuel away. He didn't have to.

I find myself feeling a lot closer to Mark, and no, not romantically. I feel like maybe I do have a friend here, and a pretty good, solid one, too.

It's something I've never really had, a friendship with close bonds. I mean, yes, I have Alaina, but she's my sister. None of my other friendships were all that close, or so I realize now.

I suppose I really do trust Mark. I can't find a reason not to.

"You see, it was either you or Roy who asked, or maybe I just imagined one of you asking, whether or not these things play out on their own. That's the thing- I don't know."

I'm struggling to follow his words, what with all that's been happening recently. "Explanation? Please?" I manage weakly, my voice a mere croak. Nothing left of the spontaneous, outspoken girl that existed... What? Maybe a month ago.

It only took about a month. Or was it longer than that? I'm sure my family is worried sick... I wonder if Dad went home... If he did he'd have to explain everything, including that I got... Kidnapped, I guess.

"Some of my predictions have needed a push. Something to trigger it. Something that, now that we have the knowledge, we put into action to cause the occurrence. While others play out naturally, and if you try to interfere, you could mess it up."

"So, we have a fifty-fifty chance of actually saving him?" I ask. My mind is to numb to accept the full truth of the statement.

Maybe Mark sees that, because he lets out a long sigh. "Olivia, do you want to go home?"

The question takes me completely off guard.

At first, I immediately go to nod my head...

... But do I really want to go home?

That'd probably mean never coming back to the Resistance, or the Thesis, or this place. It'd mean never seeing Mark, or Roy, or Asher, or Michael, or GreenLeaf, or Link ever again. And Logan. He'd be out of the question, too.

But at the same time, it'd mean never seeing Prince Polar, or Nathan again. Not dealing with heartbreak, or constantly feeling like my head's been banged on a rock.

But no more Logan.

No more Mark.

Back to my normal life.

I'd get Alaina back. And school. And a routine. Predictable. Everyday. The same thing. Comfort. Security.

But I realize that's not who I am anymore.

I long for adventure now. My life would be hopelessly dull without it. And Logan? I can't leave him, not if he has a chance to live.

And not since my crush has blossomed into something more.

I care about him, far more than I should. He's been through so much... I want to help him.

I want to be there for him.

I want him to want me the way I want him.

This isn't a crush anymore.

And with that realization, I shake my head. Slowly, at first, but slowly it becomes a sure, quick motion.

No. I don't want to go home.

I want to find Logan.

And if we can't, if he's gone forever, I want to personally run a sword through Prince Polar, and watch him bleed to death.

And then do similarly, if not worse to Nathan.

Because I love him.

I love the Master Assassin.

I love the Traitor.

I love Logan.