2 : The Tease Machine

English was by far your favorite class.

And no, not because Law sat in the seat diagonal from you.

Really it was the perfect place, you got a great side view from here and he couldn't see you giving him quick glances. Unfortunately, you'd seemed to have misplaced your Law notebook. Probably left it back at the lunch table, but that was alright. Probably. You could go back and look for it later.

But in the meantime you needed a new muse, or at least a temporary distraction.

Professor Dracule was a great candidate. The English professor had all the features you liked to draw. He was sharp and angular, had dangerous eyes and thin lips that seemed always pulled down into a small frown.

The difference between him and Law was minimal.

Today he designated the class time to working on midterm papers, but you'd finished shortly after they were assigned. That was another perk to this class. You were godly when it came to anything involving words. Science, history, English, easy peasy. Maths?

Well, you were a sneeze away from flunking.

"____," Mihawk called your name, making you look up questioningly. He stood next to Law's desk, looking down at you with an impassive face. "Since you've finished your essay early, would you mind helping Mr. Trafalgar with his?"

"Oh..." You blinked a little nervously, realizing both men, and Sabo who was snickering from the other side of the class, had their eyes on you. "Sure. No problem."

"Go to her." Mihawk commanded, and Law grabbed his laptop and bag. You scooted down on the lab table, which you'd occupied alone since your freshman year of college.

Law took up the chair you'd pushed to the side, laying out his supplies as you packed yours up. Well, you shoved them to the side. Law opened up his laptop and you steeled yourself to speak to the attractive man.

"So, what seems to be giving you trouble?"

"He says my essay is lackluster." Law frowned, gesturing to the screen.

"May I?" You asked, and he nodded. You scooted a little closer and turned the screen towards you, skimming his words. It took you a matter of seconds to analyze the issue. "Ah, okay. You're using too long of sentences and too many vague words."

You sat back, letting him look at the screen also. You pointed to an example.

"Words like bad are alright, but they don't really give any sort of real description." You brought a foot up on the chair, knee to your chest as you folded your hands over it. "Is it horrible? Gruesome? Despicable? A mild inconvenience? It's all about using the right words."

"I see." Law put his hands on his keyboard and quickly began to edit his essay, so you went back to your own space.

A soft pout graced your lips when you couldn't get Mihawk's feather hat right from memory, it was a true shame he couldn't wear it in class. But then again, Shanks got to wear his hat in gym. It wasn't fair.

"You're very talented." Law suddenly spoke, making you flinch down with a hot blush. Shit, you forgot he was sitting next to you.

"O-oh, th-thank you." You offered a sheepish smile, scratching your chin absently. He watched you with a curious eye, and you watched in horror as he looked down to your still open notebook. "They're just doodles..."

"Very good doodles." He retorted, making you blush a little hotter. God, why did he have to praise you?! "Can I see?"

"I-I guess..." you swallowed thickly, sliding the notebook over to him. He picked it up carefully, immediately checking the cover. A smirk pulled his lips up, and it made you frown. What did that mean? The only thing on the front was your scribble of the models name, in this case- Mihawk.

He leafed through the pages, silver eyes skimming over each image. You waited nervously, watching his reactions.

"You seem to like drawing our English professor a lot." He teased, but it went over your head. You were far too anxious to fully comprehend the meanings behind his words.

"Yeah, Mihawk has always been fun to draw." You agreed, chewing your lip absently. "I think I have a whole stack of notebooks on him."

Law gave you a sideways look, brow cocked. Suddenly his tease clicked, and you blushed even deeper.

"N-n-not like that! Geez! Mihawk is my dad." Law handed you back your notebook, which you clutched close to your chest. You really needed to be more careful about who you let peek at your drawings.

"Really? I didn't know he had children."

"Yeah, three actually." You nodded, lips pursing. You tried to avoid contact with his eyes, they were so damn piercing. When Mihawk glared it was a sign to become submissive, when Law turned his eyes to you, it was like they were searching your soul. Looking something only he could comprehend. "There's Perona, the oldest, then me and Zoro."

"But you call him by his name?"

"We're all adopted."

Law flinched a little, but you gave him a lackadaisical shrug to tell him it wasn't an unreasonable question to ask.

"Sorry."

"He's my dad, it's just easier to call him Mihawk." You offered with a slanted smile, a little more relaxed than before. He nodded, looking forward a little awkwardly.

"Do you only draw him?" Law attempted to changed the conversation, and you let him.

"No, I doodle a lot of different people." You chewed your lip a little, still blushing. "Some more than others."

"I see." Law stopped talking, and you were left to your own devices.

You quietly turned back to your notebook. Briefly your eyes ghosted over the name on the front, but you quickly dismissed the odd gesture. Law was probably just looking to start from the beginning, nothing more.

You opened back up the page you were on, continuing to draw your father as you pleased. You pulled a few muted color pencils from your satchel and colored them in lightly, just to add a bit of life to the otherwise grey drawing.

"You must be an art major." Law's voice came suddenly, and you had been so in your own world that it made you jump. Thankfully a lifetime with rowdy friends had trained you to lift your pen away from the paper in reaction, instead of down where it would ruin whatever you'd been creating. His deep chuckle rang in your ears, making you blush at your own stupidity. "Didn't mean to scare you."

"I-I'm an English major, actually." You managed after taking a reassuring breath. "Don't really have a plan, I just like words. How about you? I know you're in the medical field but that's about it."

"Oh? You know?" He turned his head to you, a playfully teasing expression on his eyes. He leaned forward as you broke out in another blush, resting his elbow on the table and his chin on that. "How would that be, ____-ya?"

"W-we have the same lunch period." You explained quickly, trying your hardest not to look him in the eye. You didn't want to show him just how nervous he made you, but it was obvious already.

Law enjoyed the flustered pink on your cheeks, and wondered just how red he could make you turn. He really hadn't expected you of all people to be the one who owned the notebook, but it was a pleasant surprise. He'd thought you were cute, and he already knew you had the same lunch as him.

But you were always swamped by one of the Newgate brothers, and it was obvious how close you were with Ace and Sabo. Surely one of them was your boyfriend.

"So, you look at me during lunch?"